Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Brazil Bolts

Brenden

Been looking for bolts to complete my reciever. I've seen a few Brazilian's on gun broker and I'm wondering if their a decient bolt, well what it really comes down to is that their priced right and i don't feel like paying $90 for a comerical or german. Thanks

Brenden

Sarco is famous for being out of stuff that they advertise, but they showed a complete M98 bolt for $69.95, item MSR114, in the latest Shotgun News. They also have Yugo bolts for $5 more.

I consider that to be a high price, but it beats the stuffings out of $90.

Clemson

By the way, I don't see any particular problem with the Brazilian bolt on Gunbroker. If it came from a Brazilian rifle originally, it was likely made by DWM in Germany.

Clemson

• 1 month later...

The bolts you saw, "unnumbered, never used"? Federal Arms bought a bunch of S. American M98 bolts, polished them up nicely and sold them at pretty reasonable prices. Since then one or two devils have been advertizing them as "new, old stock items (NOS), not true.

Could I suggest buying a stripped bolt body first, checking the headspace and then buy milsurp parts to complete it. How many impropperly headspaced bolts would you want to go through at $90 each? Parts dealers will not continously replace complete (or stripped) bolt bodies which don't headspace in your particular rifle.

Some German, Czech, and Austrian pre-1944 barreled receivers may match up with bolts made by these same manufacturers as machining tolerances were pretty close. Millions of M98 Mauser Systems rifles were built by these companies, huge numbers of them for S.American countries, China, Turkey, Spain, and Ethopia as well as many other smaller countries. Might be a good idea to stick with receivers made by the same companies also.

However, never expect a drop-in part to be acceptable, even if it appears to function properly. Have it checked out by a competent person. Bill

A Brazilian 1908 bolt would basically be the same as an Argentine 1909, a good quality bolt. Watch out for those Sarco SA bolts. They supplied three with some Argentine 1935 actions I bought and thye are by far the worst bolts I've ever come accross.

As Bill says, be sure to check headspace first. ME, I'd start with a complete bolt as they will end up costing less than a pieced together bolt. That way, if the headspace is off, you have the guts and can simply sell your bolt body and pay for another with the proceeds. And if it works, you are ready to go.

Is this receiver the one that's going to be a 338-06, and Brenden has purchased a reamer for this project? If so, then why talk about the bolt fitting for headspace or not? It hasn't been reamed yet has it? What am I missing here? Or are we talking about another receiver or just 98 bolts in general?

Spiris

Everything. Made a spanish bolt look like a precision made instrument. Welded horribly, fit & finish were terrible, yada, yada, yada.. :rolleyes: The exterior wasn't really pittied, deeply anyway but was certainly rough and looked uncared for.

Is this receiver the one that's going to be a 338-06, and Brenden has purchased a reamer for this project? If so, then why talk about the bolt fitting for headspace or not? It hasn't been reamed yet has it? What am I missing here? Or are we talking about another receiver or just 98 bolts in general?

Spiris

I believe Bill's comment was meant in a general sort of way, as was mine. Believe it or not, I can't keep track of every project each memeber is undertaking. I can barely remember mine.

I'm still hunting for bolts. Apex gun parts has some listed for $45, complete. I checked with Brian Perazone and he said he had two left, in decient condition with some corriosion on them for $40. I think i'll go to apex, and like mike said, i've priced buying bolt bodies and guts, and its cheaper to just buy a complete bolt, replace the shroud and then possibly re-use the military shroud later on, on another project. Just trying to get some goodies while i got some cash in the pocket.

Brenden

I bought two bolts from Apex recently. Both were fine.

Clemson

Clemson, any idea of the country of origin?

Clemson, any idea of the country of origin?

A several months ago I bought his last czech bolts, since then everytime I ask all he has let is turk bolts and no more 03 turks just 38's. Most of the bolts I got from him were fine, but the last 03 bolts I got only 2 out of 6 were any good and I promised those to someone, so I got skunked and ate about $75 on the deal.

-Don

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. As tanglewood can attest, I hate welding on Turk bolts, but they are better than those nasty SA bolts Sarco fleeced me on. If anyone has a line on some nice Czech or even German bolt bodies drop me a line IN PRIVATE PLEASE, lol.

all he has left is turks? darn. I don't really want to buy turks, not for $45, what about those bolts from Old Western Scrounger? In the pics they look kinda rough, so much junk on them you can't really tell what they are. Sporter express has some German and Cezch....for about $70 :o ouch

Brenden

Drop me a line too.....I'm 20, doing my first complete project.....and don't you all want to see me stay occoupied and suscesful? DAMN IT feel sorry for me!!!! lol

If I think of it I will take a photo in the morning. I bought them to use in 1908 Brazilian receivers, and they fit and function fine. No pitting -- minor salt and pepper corrosion that will come off easily in metal finishing.

Clemson