Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Grizzly Herd

ken98k

I took a friend bear hunting in the AK range on Saturday. Mostly just sight seeing but it sounds better if you say you're going bear hunting.

We were following a knife-edge ridge when I saw a “herd of Grizzlies.”

I had just come up out of a small saddle and there they were about a hundred yards ahead. I shut off my 4 wheeler and signaled my friend to do the same. He grabbed his 375 and hustled up to join me.

The “herd” turned out to be a sow and 3 cubs. The cubs, being nearly as large as their mother, were undoubtedly 3 year olds that will be chased off by mom within the next few weeks.

I estimate the cub’s weight to be 300-350 pounds.

Although it would have been “legal” to shoot any of the 4, we just settled for watching for a moment until they caught sight of us and headed for parts unknown.

Times must be good in the bear world for a sow to be able to raise 3 cubs to adulthood.What a sight that must have been.I guess now you get paid back for the hard winter you endured.Jerry

When my son and I were in to set up our stands for deer season this year we saw a Sow at a gallop

followed by her two cubs. Her cubs were probably only 100# or so. ( Black Bear )

I was VERY glad that they were fixated on getting from point A to B quickly and not looking or sniffing

right or left because we didn't have one weapon between us .

So here is my question, at what point does the Sow turn from protective mom to

'you're on your own'.

Tinker

When my son and I were in to set up our stands for deer season this year we saw a Sow at a gallop

followed by her two cubs. Her cubs were probably only 100# or so. ( Black Bear )

I was VERY glad that they were fixated on getting from point A to B quickly and not looking or sniffing

right or left because we didn't have one weapon between us .

So here is my question, at what point does the Sow turn from protective mom to

'you're on your own'.

Tinker

I'd have to look up the exact biology but I think she comes into heat.

Driving away the previous bunch also helps to prevent inbreading.