Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Siamese Bottom Metal On A Standerd Mauser 98

dirtyjim

here's what i'm planning on doing.

i collecting parts for a rigby style 303 mauser using modified siamese bottom metal on a dwm gew98 action. i know the action screw spacing is differnent & the bottom metal will be reworked to match up with the spacing of the action. the front screw hole needs to be moves about 1/8" forward & the rear screw hole needs to be moved about 3/16" rearward.

but will the gew98 action fit into a stock thats semi-inleted for a siamese without showing any gaps. i planning on using a gary goudy classic stock from gag

I'd get a stock to make a pattern from. Inlet your action into it then have it duplicated. When making a pattern you have the luxurey of filling in any unwanted gaps with filler. then, when you have it duplicated you will have a nice fit. Otherwise, it is just a gamble as to whether parts will fit.

that was the way i intended to do it at first.

then i just happened to see a semi-inlet that was just about perfect for the look i wanted & wondered if anyone had ever tried putting a normal 98 in a siamese stock. the only things that realy concerns me is the position of the bottom metal relative to the action & the profile of the action where it mates to the stock. i have a little bit of leway here, i can go forward or backwards at least a 1/16" maybe just a little more with the bottom metal to keep it lined up with the action. the siamese bottom metal will mate up to a 98 action after removing the front pilliar, then its just a matter or reworking the holes to line up & making a new front pilliar.

if the outside dimensions of the siamese receiver are the same as a 98k i would just order the stock & have at it but i dont have a siamese to campare it do & don't want to drop alot of money on a stock & then it not work out

I think you would be better off looking at using a Yugo intermediate style action, rather than a standard action for what you are planning. The Siamese action is an Intermediate action, as is the Yugo, so the screw spacing will be the same for the trigger guard. That would be one less thing to have to worry about. There should be no problems fitting a 303 into a Yugo action.

if i was just going to build a 303 sporter a yugo would work out fine but this one will be very close in looks to a original rigby 303 & i'd like to use a full length receiver. i have both a dwm & a oberndorf gew98 that are candidates for this build the dwm has the worst bore of the two so it will more than likely go to this project & the oberndorf will go to a model c type of project with the original stepped barrel

Several years ago, Rifle Magazine had an article on the 303 Rigby. I may have the article somewhere. Let me see if I can find it to help you out.

Remember too, that the Siamese action is a "large" ring, intermediate style action. However, it does not have the "step" at the end of the front receiver ring, where it steps down. The Siamese remains the same until the rear bridge. So, if you plan on using a Siamese stock for a standard Mauser action, there will be a gap due to the inletting for the larger dimensions of the left and right rails the Siamese.

if you can find that article i'd appreciate it. i've been collecting pictures of a couple of 303's to use for reference.

its still in the parts collecting stage right now & i'll probably just work up a stock with bondo then have it duplicated so i know it will work.

i've also been tring to find info on siamese mausers that have been rebarreled to 303 & from what i've read they seem to feed better with a p14 303 follower & stiffer replacement mag spring.

Jim, I have quite a bit of Siamese and std stuff. I'll pull some out tomorrow and see if I can give you some comparison info.

If you're going to lengthen a Siamese tg to fit a 98, then you better figure on a 98 stock. I'll see what a Siamese tg does in a std stock. I doubt a Siamese stock could work at all, but will check.

Siamese are always a series of trying different followers. The orig almost never work very well for anything.

Brad

Jim, I tried all kinds of combinations.

I think you will be best with a std 98 stock. There are too many problems trying to make a 98 fit a Siamese stock. The lugs don't match up, the shoulders on the ring don't match up. Dale is right, the rail section is wider on the Siamese and there would be a gap. There would be a lot of unused holes left inside the inletting.

The only even slightly iffy thing I see is the front shoulder on the triggerguard where it steps down from the mag to the front tang, as you know, the Siamese has just a straight taper, but it looks to me like the front tang will just cover that step.

It also looks to me like only the rear tang on the Siamese tg will need lengthening to move the rear screw back. If the screw hole on the front tang is lined up with the boss on the the lug, it is nearly a perfect fit for the mag into the receiver, with a bit of filing here and there. Since half the feed ramp on a Siamese is on the front of the mag, some feedramp work will be required. It always is, since none ever come with the original tg. The trigger slot in the tg may need a little filing to accommdate whatever trigger you use. I had a Timney FD in mine and it was very close.

If you want any pics I can email them to you. I haven't mastered posting pics here yet.

In regards to the other thread wondering about an extractor cut on the breech face. Yes, all of mine have extractor cuts. Two with with original extractors and one with a standard 98 extractor I put on. Barrel it, mark where the cut goes, pull the barrel, file the cut put the barrel back on. Voila!

Good luck. Let me know if you want me to check anything else.

Brad