Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tool Question...

brian923

hwy guys, i wa searching midwayusa.com and came across this gunsmith tool, for turning actions.

it says that its made for small ring mausers.

my question is... will this work for a k. kale mauser, since the threads are small ring?!?!

thanks guys, brian

gunsmith tool, for turning actions.

For 'turning' or for truing?

Brian

This should help to keep it straight between small ring and small thread shank.

All '98' type actions have a third 'safety' lug.

Not all '98' type actions are large ring, some are small ring.

All pre '98' actions have small thread shanks.

Most small ring actions are pre '98's but some are '98's.

All '98' type actions have large thread shanks except for Turks.

All Turks have small thread shanks.

'03' (intermediate length) and '38' (K.Khale, standard length) model Turks are '98' type

'large ring' actions.

Hope this helps

Tinker

For 'turning' or for truing?

Brian

This should help to keep it straight between small ring and small thread shank.

All '98' type actions have a third 'safety' lug.

Not all '98' type actions are large ring, some are small ring. Most notable are the vz33, G33/40, 1910 & 1936 Mexican Mausers, and the Kar98's. the kar98's and it's cousin the Polish K98 small ring 98 have large threads.

All pre '98' actions have small thread shanks.

Most small ring actions are pre '98's but some are '98's.

All '98' type actions have large thread shanks except for Turks. Not all. Like Clem said, the G33/40, vz33, Peruvian 1909, 1910 mexican, 1936 mexican, and a couple of commercials are 98's yet have SR threads.

All Turks have small thread shanks. Not all Turks are small ring threads only those marked K.Kale and the 1903's are Small thread.

'03' (intermediate length) and '38' (K.Khale, standard length) model Turks are '98' type

'large ring' actions. with SR threads.

Hope this helps

Tinker

Added some clarification in red. Hope that helps.

Obviously there were a few that I wasn't aware of.

This has me scratching my head " Not all Turks are small ring threads only those marked K.Kale and the 1903's are Small thread."

What Turks don't have small thread shanks?

When I refer to a 'Turk', I mean one that was contracted for ( 03 ) or

made by ( 38 ) Turkey. I'm not including a German or other large ring / large thread shank

Mauser that was obtained by Turkey then 'Turked' by cutting the secondary torque shoulder.

To me those aren't 'Turks' they are an abomination.

Tinker

Obviously there were a few that I wasn't aware of.

This has me scratching my head " Not all Turks are small ring threads only those marked K.Kale and the 1903's are Small thread."

What Turks don't have small thread shanks?

When I refer to a 'Turk', I mean one that was contracted for ( 03 ) or

made by ( 38 ) Turkey. I'm not including a German or other large ring / large thread shank

Mauser that was obtained by Turkey then 'Turked' by cutting the secondary torque shoulder.

To me those aren't 'Turks' they are an abomination.

Tinker

It's all a matter of symantics. They are marked as Turks and that is what most people assume them to be turked or not. The import stamps say, Turkey not Germany, so that is what most people will call them. Kinda like the yugo vs Serbian Mauser thing. The G98's came their way during WWI when Germany & Turkey were allies, so contracted for or not, they are Turks since that is where they were imported for. Turkey also had a fair amount of Kar98's which were small ring, large thread but not counterbored so far as I know.

I'm sure there are some I'm not aware of. Hard to know them all when so many varieties were made. I tried to leave out the commercial variants.