Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington 798's... Any Good?

brian923

i was looking to custom build a turk mauser to 7mm rem mag, but then i saw this. are these any good?? i would be able to kep my 8mm mauser and have a 7mm rem mag. the only thing i dont like is that the barrel is a skinny barrel, but it should be of good quality.... no?

any one that has one of these, what is the accuracy like? fit and funtion good? is it any better or worse than a 700 rem , or a savage in 7mm rem mag?

others have done it but i wouldnt personally build a magnum on a small ring thread turk not sure what yours is could be a turk rearsenaled std 98

as to the 798 i have heard alot of variation on the quality with most stating that accuarcy has been running in 1 1/2 inch + ball park and that the machining isnt as good as the interarms i handled one at the store and what i was told as to the machining is true the stocks and triggers are some what lacking also i would look for a interarms on the used market before i bought a 798 i picked up a mark x in

7 mag about a month ago for $300 but the stock is different than you normally see it is more of a euro clasic with pancake cheek peace i havent had a chance to shoot it yet though

hows the 93 project coming along what cal are you going with it ?

james

well, if you are meaning the turk, its a k.kale, so i think it s considered a small ring m98... i have been flip flopping back and forth on many different calibers. as ststed above, i was looking at 7mm rem mag, but now, i picked up a remington take off in 8mm mauser, so i might just re-thread that to replace the turk military barrel. this is so hard... i guess i just have to pick up a couple more actions... ;)

thanks for your info on the 798's. i think ill stick with sporterzing military actions. unless i decide on the magnum length, then ill look back into it.

brian