Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Herters Universal Neck Sizing Dies

Picked up a set of Herters dies in 8x57 and found them to be a little different. They have a removable sleeve that can be switched to different calibers. I only got the 8x57 sleeve but was wondering if anyone has a set that could copy the instruction sheet for me.

The bullet seater has a window above the lock ring for placing the bullet. Haven't figured out how to get a crimp out of it. I need a bit of a crimp with the cast bullets I am using or they will pull out of the case when I extract them from the gun.

I have 3 sets of dies for 8x57 and all of them are oddballs. One has the wrong expander button and is an obsolete brand (Lachmiller) RCBS bought them out years ago but they don't have replacement parts.

I may just have to break down and by a new set of Lee dies. Hate to buy new when I can spend twice as much on several sets of used stuff that doesn't work right. :D

Any information on the universal dies would be appreciated.

Hey Dave, i think I have an extra fz rcbs die w/ring for 8x57. Lemme look and if I do you can have it . Dave

Back again..Dave, I do have anextra 8x57 RCBS Full Size die with the ring...It had the centershaft,lock nuts, but it needs the expander ball.Irobbed it for another die..It's yours if ya want it....Dave

Hey Dave, i think I have an extra fz rcbs die w/ring for 8x57. Lemme look and if I do you can have it . Dave

Just a few days ago I was using my very old RCBS 8MM die and it is so old, I had installed a Lachmiller expanding rod in it about 20+ years a ago. Back in the 70 and 80's there was a Shotgun News dealer that bought the Lachmiller stock and replacement parts. I purchased a few dies from him and sent a couple of dies including the 8MM for repair. The rod didn't fit just right so just a few days ago I made it work with use of a grinding wheel. I have to thread the expander ball all the way up and had to grind off the decapping portion to get it to work. I was playing at my reloading bench due to boredom. Made some 7.7 brass into 8 MM then made some new 7.7 out of 06 blanks. I was also dumping the contents of Turk 8MM into re-loadable brass.

I just looked over my old Herters loading dies that use the sleeve. Apparently there is no provision for the crimp. I have 243,270 and 06. I really like the cut-out though, wish others would adopt it. I landed a bunch of Herters and Lachmiller loading tools many years ago at an estate sale. Most was a pain to use and apparently I must have been seating bullets without the crimp as I never missed it's ability to do so until now. If Dave can help you out with the sizing die a Lee Factory crimp die would be the best bet for crimping. The Lee crimp die will put a real tight crimp on the 8MM brass without expanding the shoulder. The Turk bullets I seated have a deep crimp groove and the Lee FCD crimped them up real nice.

I recently made very good use of the 30/06 seater sleeve loading 44 Mag. I was loading Lyman spire points and the 06 sleeve perfectly fits over the pointed portion of the bullet and just touches the shoulder enough that I can seat the bullet without damaging the point.

Lyman I'm told on other groups has discontinued seater plugs and other parts for the Spire Points because of their ability to penetrate Kevlar.

Try turning the seating sleeve upside down, I think it will crimp

I tried that. It just pushes the bullet in further. That's all the other dies would do too.

SS, I'll take you up on that offer. I have an extra 8mm expander ball for an RCBS die (somewhere). Didn't fit on the Lachmiller.

Hey Dave, I went a searchin in my stuff. Found a complete set of RCBS full size die and seater die. All parts are there. If ya want em' email me or call, ya got the #'s....Dave

thanks for the email Dave..They're yours .will send them real soon...Dave