Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anti-sporterization

Doble Troble

i've had bear salami that was good. also pepperoni and jerky. too greasy for meat, for me. i give most of it away...

Years ago I was given a summer sausage made with bear and elk meat. It was gross tasting, on about the fourth or fifth chew the spice was gone and it had the gooey consistency of 90 weight gear oil.

ps how does bear meat taste ? i have yet to try it.

I have yet to taste it too - which is why I'm so excited about this hunt!

We rented a beach house on Ocracoke island for a couple of days this week. We saw THREE bears on the road driving out. The fishing wasn't very good though.

The last one hid in the brush just of the road (HWY 264 near the Naval artillary site) when he saw us coming. We could still see him hiding there so I stopped the car and we checked him out for a few seconds. He was about 50 feet away and we had all of the windows down. It didn't take long for him to either smell us or figure-out he was being spied on and he crashed into the heavy brush. It was damn big, and fast.

I've had some skunky deer that I've gotten from others. I agree that its critical to get it bled and cooled quick. If you guys aren't butchering yourselves it isn't hard - go for the joints and tendons and it falls apart. Cavemen were successful without even sharp knives. If you cut it up yourself you can avoid the fat and connective tissue that decrease meat quality.

Hopefully Yogi's going to taste good. The quickest way for me to find-out is to kill him, and so I'll try as hard as I can.

Don't know if there is any truth to it or possibly it is an exaggurated war story. A former co-worker of mine and a WW2 vet told a tale of a group of elderly German farmers after or towards the end of the war going into the forrest with shovels and pitch forks in search of meat. He claimed they returned with a large bear.

If any of our families were really hungry, I suspect that every non-human animal within walking distance would be at risk - pitchfork or not. I feel really sorry for the members of American families where this may not be the case.

Next time someone starts bemoaning the size of large hogs and their toughness...remember what I wrote above

For recreational purposes, I'm drawing the line at the 8 x 57 loaded up and with an overloaded colt 45 on my hip.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a 458 Win on a Turk action?

If any of our families were really hungry, I suspect that every non-human animal within walking distance would be at risk - pitchfork or not. I feel really sorry for the members of American families where this may not be the case.

As much as I hate to say it to many Americans have become used to the government feeding them. As we saw in the aftermath of Katrina. To many Americans just stood by, did nothing to help themselves awaiting the government to feed and shelter them. If the war story is true it speaks highly of our previous generation. Assuming the Germans were likely pretty old, to feeble to go to war or be drafted into Hitler's home guard. Most likely their livestock had already all been slaughtered or confiscated by the retreating army. The German farmers apparently didn't wait for their government or anybody else to feed them. In desperation for meat they did the best they could with the tools they had on hand. Most likely they either refused or feared taking food or anything else from Americans whom they viewed as the enemy.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a 458 Win on a Turk action?

I saw one at a gun show but I don't think I'd want to shoot it with factory ammo or max reloads.

If you want to get more of the cosmoline out, use a paint stripper lit zip strip. It wont hurt the wood. There will still be plenty in the stock, it seems to ooze out for years.

Black bears are not as big as Grizzleys so I think 8mm mauser is plenty.

I shot a deer with a 150 gr corelokt and it did not expand at all. With what you are spending on food and lodging and the price of the hunt, dont cheap out now with your choice of bullet. Go buy some nosler or sierra slugs. Get an idea of where they hit compared to the corelokt and then save the rest for hunting.

The 98k was rear sight was calibrated for a 198 gr bullet.

• 2 weeks later...

As to the rem. 185s it seems I read that it needs about 2400 fps to expand. I have only took 1 doe with the 185s. The shot was up hill and exited out the spine. The bullet seemed to done average damage for the bullets strike location. I would not be concerned to use it again on deer. I have only seen one bear killed. The bear came up in front of a deer driver, who put one round of buck shot in the bears rear. A stander finished the job with a 30-06 and 180 grain bullet. THe buck shot only made it throught the fat layer and just into the muscle. It is amasing the diffence between a bears body and a deer.

I have hear that bear run by dogs is greasy. Both of the ones I have helped butcher were great. My dad fixed some the other week and cut it thin after cooking it. It was GOOD. I hope your trip turns out well. How close to the Outer Banks are you going to be?