Military Firearm Restoration Corner

25 Krag Ai Load Data?

I have only one manual that even shows the 25 Krag in it. None show the improved version.

For 25 Krag, the old Herters manual gives

36.9 grains 4064 with 87 grain bullets for 2900 fps. Max Load

33.8 grains HV-2 with 87 grain bullets for 2990 fps. Max Load

31.9 grains 3031 with 100 grain bullet for 2540 fps. Max Load

Clemson

I was able to fireform a piece of brass today. Case capacity is just a tich over that of the 257 AI. That data will work. LL

Lizard your best bet is to try and get Ackley's book if you're uncertain about the older data. I don't recall the 25 Krag but did read about his development with the 30/30 Imp. He went into great detail on different powders, bullets, case capacity etc and allot of good info on what didn't work. Ackley's books are on the expensive side but you may find it in a public library or a used copy on Amazon or Ebay. Ackley wrote several books so it might be a chore locating the one that covers the 25 Krag.

You might also try a net search as there is a wildcatting group out there somewhere.

AZ, I looked this up in Ackley. His loads seem hot, and they contain no data for the more modern powders. When I say they seem hot, I ran them past one of the Sierra ballistic techs and he said they would not load that hot. I was hoping someone could point me to data acquired with pressure testing equipment also.

Ackley states the case capacity between this round and the 257AI are identical, but my case is about an 1/8th" longer than my 257 AI. Dave Kiff made both reamers to Ackley's specs. I sent the print from my 25 Ackley Krag Improved to RCBS and the print is consistent with the dies they make. I winced at the $140 price tag. My 257AI dies were very reasonable from Redding, but these will be custom shop items. Oh well, we pay for fun.

Back to data, the loads in Ackley's books are hot for my 257AI, so I expected them to be hot for this round, hence the call to Sierra. I will work off the data I garnered while working up loads for my 257AI. Having no pressure testing equipment myself, I worked up by measuring case head expansion and watching the chrony. I only worked with the 117 Sierra, and it has been very effective on antelope and whitetails. I am going to give the 117 Hornady's a try first in this one. They are supposed to be a bit stouter. With a 244 Rem and a 243 gathering dust in the safe, I see no reason to drop to 100 grains or less in the 25s. The 244 is like greased lightning. It wears a 28" #5 Hart barrel and gets 3350 out of 95 grain BT's.

I never thought of searching the net under "wildcatting". I'll give that a try. LL

Lizard if I recall correctly there were two versions of the 25 Krag AI. Possibly you have data for the hotter of two. Been way to many years for me to recall the difference. Just speculating, possibly a lower pressure version for the weaker Krag action and a hotter number for stronger actions.

Here is a wildcatting forum that might be able to help you.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?PHP...&board=91.0

I've had a particular fondness of US Krag rifles and sporters for years. I know the action is weak by today's standards but the bolt operates and flows through the receiver with silky smoothness. About 5 years ago I came real close to buying a beautiful Krag sporter that was converted to 25. I don't recall if it was the Ackley version. The price was right on the rifle but he was demanding way to much for the custom loading dies. I decided to look around the gun show for another sported Krag as I'm to cheap to buy one in original shape. Sure enough Murphy had his way and when I returned after deciding to give his price it was gone. Everything I've seen since has been Bubba-ized, half-assed or the barrel looks like it was shot numerous times with black powder and not properly cleaned

I would prefer one in the original 30/40 chambering if I could land one with a decent barrel. Power wise I guess the 30/40 is somewhere between 30/30 and 300 Savage.

I spent an hour or two looking over that site this morning. It is quite interesting. When I finished that up, I squared up two blocks of 12L14 and cut the radi on the bottom for the front and rear scope bases. (Is it radi or radiuses?) I am really enjoying this project. Tomorrow I will finish them and later in the week I will do the PME safety. LL

LL, there is some info on the 25 Ackley short Krag at the ammoguide site but the three loads were for TC single shots. If you are considering a rimmed build, there seems to be more info available for the 25/303 Brit and it's quite popular in Australia & New Zealand. Here's a pic of a 25-303 improved with original 303 case. I think it's called the 25 Epps. When used in a p-14 action, it really zips. Close to the 25-06. The weaker regular Enfield actions have to be loaded down quite a bit though.

Spiris

post-237-1214489681_thumb.jpg