Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Long Range 22 Ammo ?

karlunity

Fellas,

I have taken to shooting the "Mouse Gun" A rom .22 rifle at 200 meters.

Now the rifle is accurate and with even a cheap walmark scope will shoot well under MOA at normal .22 range 25 to 50 meters with it favorite "Thunderbolt" ammo.

Problem is that Thunderbolt is not consistent out to 200 meters.

I hit the plate, than the same hold and sight picture, the next shot places wide or low.

I don't know how to reload for a .22, or even if you can, so I need some Ideas on long range ammo.

I was thinking that with a good scope and ammo......who knows what this rifle will do?

Karl

I don't know how to reload for a .22, or even if you can....

oh you can; it's just unneccesary, expensive, time-consuming, and difficult. given that, it's surprising I haven't tried it yet :blink: .

actually reloading is not supposed to be an option.

you will want heavier projectiles at higher velocities, in high-quality ammo, is my guess. unless, the transonic shift is destabilizing your bullet past 50 yards, and causing problems. then, start with subsonic ammo, and see if it doesn't help.

the folks at benchrest central can probably help you out. they seem nice enough over there. I have poked around a bit looking for info on a winchester 57 I got.

"anything you ever wanted to know about long range .22 rimfire here and a lot of stuff i can't afford "

bert01

Thanks.

That was interesting.

I see what you mean about "afford"..them guys must be rich....or not married. : )

Karl

Hello AzRedneck.

I did.

Paid about 12 bucks for a box called "green match target" I think.

The .98 cent thunderbolt grouped better.

I am still learning about the .22.

In some ways it is as complex as a Mauser or Mosin and harder to reload.

Take care

Karl

Hello AzRedneck.

I did.

Paid about 12 bucks for a box called "green match target" I think.

The .98 cent thunderbolt grouped better.

I am still learning about the .22.

In some ways it is as complex as a Mauser or Mosin and harder to reload.

Take care

Karl

buddy of mine swears by wolf ammo. If you want heavier, try some of the 60 grainers, don't believe their very fast but may buck wind better and so on. just remember to use 20 moa mounts to get the elevation. :rolleyes:

brenden

I have a little Savage 22 with target barrel and accutrigger. It likes Wolf Target and Remington SubSonic about equally well. Both will group 5-10 shots in a dime size ragged hole at 50 yds off a bag. The Wolf groups on the small side of the time the Remington on the large side of the dime. Both are great in that little rifle.

I can't really attest to the 100yd or greater range as I haven't played around with that yet. I would think, though, that if I did my part they would hold up. I believe that either is worth a try as they are both subsonic. The Remington's were a good bit cheaper. I think about half of what I paid for the Wolf. That may not hold true now though. I don't remember the bullet weight on them but think that it was in the 40 gr range.

Karl, these rounds are produced by the millions and I doubt that most hold the tolerances necessary for 200 meter shots. I know its fun to try to hit targets at that range but the round is anemic at that range, and a tenth grain difference in powder or lead will show up big time. A 100 yd grouping is more appropriate for the 22LR and that's stretching it for the average rifle. I have probably 30 different brands and styles of 22LR ammo that I have tested in my two rifles and each likes different ones. You have a fine accurate rifle and you just have to live with limits of the cartridge.

Spiris

Spiris has it right-

Try many different kinds of ammo and pick the one your rifle likes.

Or...

You could PM me, and I'm certain my boss would be happy to sell you a smallbore target rifle.

We have used CM-2s, new CM-2s, and a new shipment of Izhmash Biathlon Basic 7-2s in .22 WMR.

I think you'd like this rifle, Karl. It's not really a Biathlon--no harness, no bunch of magazines hanging from the stock--but it's an accurate toggle action--quick, quick, quick--with a a hammer forged barrel.

It even comes with a scope rail for your tired old eyes.

Not to mention, the WMR will buck the wind a little better than the .22LR.

If you're looking for something more accurate, we have many many BSA Martinis--including Models 12, 12/15, 15, and all the BSA Internationals from MKs I-II, through the MK V.

These are pretty, and fun, but they're serious match rifles.

Or, we have a pretty full line of Anschuetz target rifles. We were putting together a used 1907 today.

These cost about four times what I paid for that VW Wabbit I drove for all those years.

Given our history, karl, I don't at all expect to sell you a rifle.

Although I think we have more than a few that you'd enjoy.

And... I thought of you plenty this summer.

An old friend of my boss helped out in the shop for the last three months.

He shot Camp Perry for the Corps--although they had some issues, he was a little salty--and you'll find his name on the Marine Cup, the list of National Smallbore Champions, the Army Cup, and a few others.

I know, I know... it's hard to imagine liberal old flaco working side-by-side with a Marine.

Or shooting with him at the range?

In general... we had a blast.

The bad news is... I may have built my last Mauser.

I love these rifles, and always will, but it seems I'm going to have to sell off a few to pay for my newest rifle, a 6.5x47 Lapua.

I've been shooting 600 yards, and I've caught the bug.

I'm not yet a hunter--although I'd like to try some ground squirrels--but I enjoy banging away in the early morning still with guys who like a challenge.

These are not pretty rifles, in the sense of a beautiful Mauser by z1r, for instance. They're big, and clunky, and we spend way too much time in load development.

I don't think I have any particular talent, in the sense of the Marine I worked with this summer.

I just like it. And have had the benefit of a brief education, part of which took place here.

I feel very lucky.

I have a passion.

If you're so inclined--it's not easy, and takes some commitment--I think we have clients in your area. Guys are shooting serious long range at Coalinga, and a little farther south at Cuyama.

Anyway... I thought it was about time I mentioned how much I've enjoyed our repartee.

I'm convinced you're irredeemable.

And George W. Bush will leave our nation in such dire straits that criticizing him would be like shooting ducks in a barrel.

With no choke.

In as much sincerity as one may muster,

flaco

N.B. LOL!

Karl,

I've had pretty good luck with CCI .22lr ammunition. Box for box CCI seems to be the most consistent and is what my rifle prefers. I hunt and plink with this brand exclusively. Although I usually use Mini-mags for hunting, CCI's CB Longs are subsonic and might be just the ticket for what you're considering. They're not terribly expensive and may be worth a try.

Jason

falco.

Welcome home.

"I've been shooting 600 yards, and I've caught the bug."

Long range is a true passion, I recall my first 500 yd bull at PI and that was 40 years ago.

You are going to have a ball.

"Given our history, Karl, I don't at all expect to sell you a rifle."

Nothing to do with our history, I respect a fella who stands up for his ideals, more to do with money or the lack there of.

The Hippy wanted sound-proof windows and they go for about $450 a pop, that some new doors, fencing and a sprinkler system overhaul and some plumbing has cut a tad into the ole gun fund.

Still, the work needed to be done and to quote the Pastor, "If mama is happy, everyone is happy". : )

Again welcome home this place is kinda dull without you around.

Karl

Karl,

I found these to vids on Youtube and thought of your 200yd shooting with the .22. Interestingly, number 2 of this vid show up in the scroll window while I was watching a video of a taurus 357Mag barrel blow off while being shot. That was pretty interesting.

Anyway, this fella is shooting a .22, CZ, and hits a sillouette (sp?) a few times. Pretty neat

Looks like a bunch of fun.

lc