Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anybody Out There Done Brakes On A Vette?

Ron J

Well it's my first. Started out as helping a friend. Master cyl, all 4 calipers, rotors, lines and new emergency brake parts. I'm just about done with the fronts. Did the bearings on the first and the rotor is running out .0025". Not bad, the manual says .002". I'll buy it. Hope the other side does as well. But, what I'm hearing and reading, the rears shouldn't be done by someone not familiar with them. Looks like alot has to come apart. The car is a 1966 convertible.

So, has anyone here tore into rear brakes on one of these?

Ron

Never did Vette brakes but I do recall from my time dealing in auto parts and as an outside salesman from brake supply warehouse, the rear rotor on allot Vettes with 4 wheel discs were almost always forked up, way beyond anything that could be fixed on a lathe. I was involved in the brake supply business in the early to mid 70's. There were certain models of Vettes where rear discs were optional equipment and most reputable brake shops that knew what they were doing would not do rear brakes on certain models of Corvettes but I just can't recall the years or models. All I do recall they were post Stingray. Most brake shops would send the customer to the Chevy dealer for repair. At the time, in the 70's, many replacement parts for the Vettes were only available via Chevy dealers.

Something I do recall being told, for what it is worth, from dealing with a shop that specialized in Vettes. The shop's owner told me some Vette rear disc brakes were almost identical to the design of many Rolls Royces but enough was different that the parts could not be interchanged. From what I recall of the conversation he didn't like to do Vette rear disc brakes but had to in order to keep his customers. I'm reaching real deep into the grey matter but it seems from the best I recall, a pulsating brake pedal from rear rotor runout was something allot of Vette drivers lived with rather than spend a small fortune to fix.

Don't know where you live but you might try looking for a hy-per or restoration shop that specializes in Vettes and try and pick their brains for advice. If you in or near a large city check the library's real (not the autozone or shade tree) repair manuals. If it is a tough job the good manuals will often have pictures. If the real manuals say to avoid it best to do so. When real manuals suggest to avoid it, often because it might require a special tool or replacement parts are no longer or not readily available. The cheezy manuals will say to avoid it becuase they are afraid of liability from a half-assed repair and brake failure. If your manual also suggests to avoid certain suspension repairs, you might try to find another manual.

You are probably already aware that you have to be extra careful on pre-67 brakes unless the Vette was converted or was made with a tandem master cylinder. I don't recall the year for Vettes but by 1967 all USA manufactured autos were required by the govt to have tandem master cylinders, hopefully the 66 Vette has one. The problem if you're not already aware, if you lose brakes on one wheel, chances are good of losing brakes on all four is likely.

When you think you have problems with brakes, just ask an owner of a 1960's Studebaker Avonti about his last brake job and I'll guarantee you will feel better about the price of rotors and fixing the Vette.

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks AZ. It very well may not be a home garage type job. The fronts are coming along. Reasonably normal to old style non-floating caliper disc brakes. The fronts have regular spindles with inner + outer tapered bearings. I do have the original Chevrolet shop manual. It appears the spindle on the rears is a short axle that is pressed into something that is tied to the half shaft with a U-joint. This arrangement is all shimmed together to end up with .001" - .008" end play in the bearings. I'm hoping to have the fronts done this week depending on my hours at work. I'll start disassembling one rear and see if I can make heads or tails out of it. People on the Corvette forums advise against it. They take everything off including the trailing arms and send out for rebuild as a unit. $800.00 per side with your parts. Powder coating extra. I see why these cars have such a high retail. They cost 10 grand a year to keep 'em running!

I'm pretty sure this car has an old style master cyl. One line coming out. Was brought to me with zero pedal and an empty cylinder. Maybe I'll look into the upgrade.

Wow the Avanti. I remember those. Cool looking, but like you say...