Military Firearm Restoration Corner

wounded in action

odies dad

We are in the process of adding on to our house. One of the additions didn't have a door so we left a window open to the floor for access until we could get an opening into the rest of the house. There is about a 3 foot drop from the floor to the ground so we use a stool as a step to get in and out.

Anyway I had a bunch of help for the weekend and during one of my trips out of the house, I stepped wrong and the stool flipped me off onto the ground, leaving me with a sprained left wrist and a strained right tricep muscle. I hyperextended my wrist enough to break my watch band.

Worse part is as a chiropractor, I kinda need to use both of those parts of my body. Tough trying to modify the way I do things. I can't push with my right arm and can't bend my left wrist.

Luckily it is a short week for me. I'm heading to South Dakota to shoot at some prairie dogs tomorrow, so I'll get 4 days to recover. In the unlikely event that I don't hurt myself out there, hopefully I will be healed up by the time I get back. Good thing it wasn't my trigger finger! tongue.gif

I have seen those video clips, and to be honest, I personally disagree with the necessity of having all those clips packed into a video...I mean, what's the point, it's just one more tool in the arsenal of the anti-hunting/anti-gun, tree-huggers to justify the creation of laws against varmint hunting.

Maybe if there were some tips on ways to eradicate problem animals on one's property, this video would make sense, but as it is, with as many as 30 graphic kills in the first 90 seconds, it's just a way to make hunters look bad. I mean, there is no way with the near-vaporization of these prairie dogs that enough would be left for a hunter to make the claim that he or she is eating these animals. One of the hunters in the very first clip mentions, with a few expletives mixed in that it was "sick"...well, while he may have been joking, there are plenty of people out there who would not find this video any laughing matter.

I'm sure not anti-hunting myself...I have been taking some tentative steps toward hunting over the past year or two, and I think I will enjoy it...but I am also of the mindset that I don't want to hunt animals that I, or people that I know, won't eat.

BTW, tanglewood16137, this isn't about you having posted the link. I saw the site well over a year ago, and had forgotten about it until I saw that you had posted it. I thought the same things before...just never really got the chance to mention them.

odies dad --

I hope that you heal up quickly and completely! Enjoy your hunt, but try not to over-stress anything...it's just make it take that much longer to heal! Take particular care of your trigger finger...don't waste your trip!

I don't know if they still use it, but at one time they had a big powerful vacuum machine that would literally suck a prairie dog out of his hole. He went through a hose large enough for him to pass through, into a big tank. When the tank was full, they released them someplace else (probably on another rancher's land!

I saw a fellow break a leg when he got thrown off his horse here in S. Texas. We don't have prairie dogs, just gophers. The dog are much worse, and they have to be controlled somehow.

I'm all for hunting them, and killing as many as possible. But making videos just for the shock effect, seem to be out of place.

Maybe an educational film on control of prairie dogs, by shooting or trapping, is in order.

fritz

Well said, fritz...you expressed my sentiments about this far more eloquently than I did.

That said, I hope that odies dad is having a good time eradicating a few dogs in SD!

Made it back and for the most part had a great time. Weather was hot and windy but had some good shooting. The down side on this trip is that every time I turned around I saw a rattle snake. The guys I hunted with said in all the years they had been hunting, they had only seen one other snake other than squished on the road. I saw 4! Two were in holes (shot them) and 2 were on the ground. After I got done crapping myself I was way to shakey to shoot anything, so after all that I stayed pretty close to the truck and shot off a table.

The wrist and arm are much better. We'll see how it holds up after working today.

This must be the year of the snake, and not in China.

It's gotten so that I don't even venture out of the house without the pistol loaded with snake-shot. I just hope I can outdraw the next one!

fritz

I decided next year I'm bringing a pistol with shot shells if I can find them.

I'm also looking at a swiveling shooting bench so I don't have to lay on the ground. I brought a shooting bench last year but you have to pick up the table and turn it to get a shot off to the side. By that time what ever you were going to shoot at has moved or you can't find it.

I'm also tempted to get a set of snake chaps. Still need some extra undershorts along I reckon. Anyone make a cast iron nut cup?

Snake chaps are a wise investment. Most quail hunters use them here in the brush country. They also have their dogs snake-proofed in classes before hunting season. Saves dogs, and human lives too.

I always used chaps when harvesting my sweet corn. My dog got bitten (took the bite for me) several times. He got so that he was immune to rattlesnake venom. Now I doubt if that happens to humans.

He also had a special bark at night when there was a snake in the yard. I could detect it, and came out with the pistol in hand. If I had put notches in that little Rossi .38 for each snake kill, it would have no wood left. It got two for me in the last two weeks.

Snake shot is easy to load into .38 Special loads using the Speer plastic capsules. Number 9 pellets work fine (#12 if you can get them). And you can buy Speer cartridges already loaded. I use so many that it became feasible for me to handload them.

fritz

Thanks for the advice Fritz. I decided that the snake chaps could serve dual purpose here for grouse hunting in the blackberry bushes. Ever find yourself in the middle of a thornapple tree when you were hunting?

Where do you find the speer plastic capsules? I have both 357 and 44 mag revolvers to carry so either would be fine.

Midway carries them, as do many reloading suppliers. The ones for .38 work fine, and you only need about 5 grains of Unique in a .38 Spl case.

Don't expect kills at longer than 12 feet or so, though. Much better than .22 ratshot though.

fritz

There was a man that was a snake handler by profession. He got bit so many times by various posionous snakes that he was immune. They would actually use him as an antidote serum source. He died of cancer.

Dr.Hess

I was wondering if a human could become immune to snake bite after many times. It happens with dogs.

They didn't use an anti-venom on me for the copperhead bite, maybe for a rattler or cottonmouth. That would be why the doc in the ER asked me if I brought the snake with me.

I don't plan to test the theory of immunity, though.

fritz