Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Had A Visitor Tonight!

roscoedoh

I got home this morning around 12:00 to find Ms. Roxy going bananas in the backyard. Apparently she had an uninvited guest come by for a visit and needed help to make him leave. Imagine my surprise to come stumbling out of the house, FAL in hand, expecting a Martian invasion and finding this:

Possum962008005.jpg

He was kind of a cute little fella, if a little terrified. I imagine he was after my dog's food.

Possum962008003.jpg

Anyway, I'm not a real mean guy so I carried it down the road a piece and let it go. Hopefully it'll either stay out of my yard or my dog will do a better job at chasing them away...

I believe that the are called "Grinners" too. That 1st pic really shows that off.

A friend tells a very funny story about killing one. Not long after he and his wife were married he had to borrow a car from his new F-I-L. It just happened to be a fairly new Cadillac. Their garbage can was being robbed at night so he was determined to stop the messing. Late one evening he hears a noise, peeks out the front door and sees a grinner on the garbage can. He got his wife to hand him the shotgun, eased it through the front door and BAM! Problem solved and trash can robber dispatched.

The next morning when he got up to go to work, he noticed some greasy stuff splattered down the side of the Cadillac. OH! Memory light came on above his head. He had splattered Mr. Grinner down the side of his FIL's Caddy! I guess the grinner got the last laugh so to speak. It seems that the greasy fat from a possum is hard to get off the paint on a new Cadillac.

Yeah, Ken, that's what I was thinking too. Also, those gloves look rather thin compared to those possum teeth. I had a cat bite right through similar gloves when I was trying to separate two of them. I still have 4 punchture marks on that hand.

I've caught one of those in my coon trap. I mostly let them be. They don't tear stuff up like the coons. Worst they do is eat the kitty food, although they might get into the trash if I leave it outside. I try not to do that. Not much tries to eat the dog food. It's in the pen, and with a Blackmouth Cur and a Rhodesian Ridgeback, they pretty much have it covered. I have to occasionally "fix" a coon that is stuck up a tree in the pen.

LOL!

Yeah Kenny, I do get a lot of use out of them. They've been the best pair of $10 gloves I've ever owned. They have surely seen their share of arcs, torches, flames, glowing steel, and other hot items since I bought them seven years ago. Here lately though, all I've needed them for is to open the BBQ pit when to load in more wood. Also...you probably noticed but it just donned on me; I'm holding the possum with the same glove I was holding that flying squirrel in my avatar. So yeah, I guess I do get good use out of them!

Before I got my coon trap, I had Duke trained to bark when the coon was on the porch, eating the kitty food. Not before. Sometimes he would bark at a possum. I'd go look and tell him, "No, Duke, that's a possum" or "No, Duke, that's Patches," a frequent visitor possum and he'd shut up. I'd run the coon up the tree and then it would have an accident, carefully not dropping it on the porch (big mess to clean up, adds 15 minutes to a coon event). Duke was 1/2 Blackmouth Cur and about 3/8 Ridgeback. Also the smartest dog I've ever had.

A big feral cat has been whooping our barn cat off his feed,and he's to scared to hang out in the barn,so I set the live trap.Night before last,I caught a baby coon that was so cute,I brought him to the house to show the wife.Last night,I caught the smallest baby possum I've seen that wasn't with his mother,and,yep,I brought it to the house to show the wife.I told the cat that if that's what he's been scared of,then he's fired,and I'll try and tame the wild cat. Jerry