Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Headed For Surgery

cold shot

:( Hi all, SS here. Just wanted to thank all of you that was concerned and well wishers when my wife had her medical problem about a year and a 1/2 ago. Wll, now it's my turn to hang out in the hospital.I've done a really bad thing. I tore 4 tendon/muscles, the rotator cyff and the bicep in my right shoulder.There is also a cyst in the shoulder joint.. I'll be off for surgery on the 16th of this month. Unfortunately,I'll be off work for 6-9months.Thank god for workers comp. I'll actually be getting more income from my comp server than if I was workin. Iwill be like a cat on a hot tin roof in about 2 weeks. It will drive me nuts not to work..I just wanted to let you good folks know why I haven't been on too much lately.Been a stressfull past 4 months since the injury. Anyway just wanted to vent a little. I hope ya all don't mind. The wife says I needed a vacation but not this way.here I go with a book and all. Later, will keep you all informed of my progress....Dave

Dave,

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope that all goes well with your surgery.

As a physical therapist my suggestion would be to talk to others that have gone through this. Find a good therapist for your rehab.

Many PT's and PT assistants are ham fisted. Find one that can help restore your range of motion without killing you.

After surgery, you're likely to be in some type of sling. You're gonna find yourself tightening up, elevating the shoulder and pulling it forward. Try to catch yourself and stop this if possible. If the sling is adjusted properly it should cradle your arm in a relaxed position. It's human nature to tighten up and hold that arm and shoulder still in a protective response. The problem is, muscle which supports the shoulder and muscle at the base of the neck will become very tight and sore, adding to your pain level.

This will also help you when you start your therapy. You've already started to learn to relax. Then, if you have a good therapist who knows how to handle you and keep you relaxed your sessions will go easier. If you can relax into the movement that the therapist is helping you achieve you'll gain pretty quickly. You may have to close your eyes and get inside your head to do so. By working with the therapist you'll rebound very quickly.

If you have any questions about rehab I'll try to help if I can.

lc

Dude, Sorry to hear but I'm sure you will do fine. We'll say a prayer and you listen to LC. We'll all be pullin for you and wish you a speedy recovery!

Dave, as tough as you are this will only be a minor set back, but i'll say a prayer for ya and wish you a speedy recovery. Enjoy your time off, fondle your guns a little, watch some t.v and take a well deserved break. Not to intrude but i'd appericate it if everyone thought of my dad as well, he goes under the knife the 18th for an anursium (spelling?) on his aorta. Don't worry Dave, we'll make sure you get better ;)

Brenden

Dave,there's 4 guys I can think of that I've worked with the last 25 years that have had the same surgery,and all have done fine and was very glad to get it done because of all the suffering they went through.They got 16 weeks std,and light duty when they got back for a while.I hope you shoot left handed.That'd be a good thing.Brenden,I wish your Pop well too.Maybe since they're waiting so long to fix it,they're not real worried about it right now.You cats take care of yourself,we got the board right where we need it,so don't be dropping out on us.Oh crap,now I'm depressed about loosing fritz again. Jerry

God's comfort to all experiencing upcoming surgery. I empathize with you as I had a total hip replacement back in 1979 due to a motorcycle accident. I worked for the next 21 years because "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going". :)

Spiris

Dave

It took my brother about a year to get his insurance to agree to have his fixed.

Even though his was unrepaired for a year, now that it is repaired my brother is doing well.

Brenden

Best wishes to your dad.

It's fortunate that they found it before the worst happened and have a plan to fix it.

The percentages are far better to surgically repair an aortic aneurysm before it gets

to the bursting point. He'll probably do fine.

Tinker

SS - good luck and by all means listen to LC. Hell you got a PT you can forum to in between sessions. My hand never came back for poop, but It wasn't the therapists. The nerve is crushed and they're waiting for it to regenerate. The PT girls were aces and tried hard. I wish the same for you.

Brendan - prayers for your dad for sure. Tinker's right, at least they know it's there. Time to have faith in old saw bones and get to work.

Ron

thanks guys, went in today for the pre-op stuf. xrays,blood tests,crc cx7 and an ekg. so far all is ok. fri will be my last day for a while.my insurance person called and said that my pay benefits start on this coming mon.will let ya all know how it goes after this tues surgery...Dave

Well folks,Last Friday was my last day at work for awhile..I have a 3day weekend before the surgery. If this is what I have to look forward to,

I don't want it. I am bored.No money to do anything. I can only sleep so long then I'm wide awake. Have been up each morning at 4:30am to 5:am. The surgery is tomorrow at 8am. Will be glad to get it over with...Don't mind my ranting,it's just me ...Dave