Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.350 Rem Mag

usmc0332

There is a like new synthetic/stainles Ruger .350 Rem Mag at a local gun shop on consignment for $600. I am curious to hear about this caliber. Ballistics look good, but there is not a lot of bullet selection in .358. Not that that matters as I usually only use one bullet in my Turk.

I built one some years ago on a Mexican and used a hinged 95 trigggerguard. Turned out to be one of my favorites. I've used it every year, except this one because I've been busy developing condor loads and can't change them all.

It's good for pigs and I completely flattened a white tail down in Texas a few years ago at 100 yds. The 35 bore on that case is perfectly happy with a 22" barrel and the short Mexican action makes a dandy fast and light rifle.

Contrary to what you hear (old news) there really are plenty of bullets to select from. Every company makes a few and there are plenty in the premiums. For me, I have one load for a rifle. If I want lighter, faster, heavier, louder, whatever, I go to the appropriate rifle. Helps me rationalize my need to have so many.

But of all, the 350 Rem and my 7mm RM get the most use. After the season I'll start developing Barnes condor loads for use here in CA.

If you want it and have the spare change, I think you would like it. I recommend the ctg all the time to folks. It is, after all, the original short mag, 40 years ahead of it's time.

Brad

There is a like new synthetic/stainles Ruger .350 Rem Mag at a local gun shop on consignment for $600. I am curious to hear about this caliber. Ballistics look good, but there is not a lot of bullet selection in .358. Not that that matters as I usually only use one bullet in my Turk.

Keith, the price seems a little steep to me for a used Ruger.

• 3 weeks later...
It is on consignment. I am interested, but would throw a lower bid at it. Fun to tickle the mind with, or lead to a future project if nothing else. Thanks.

I have some 350 Rem brass if anyone has a need. Mostly once-fired; perhaps some new. No longer have the Rem 700. Will check on condition and count if there is some interest. Would let go for a song or barter, plus shipping. Might even have the dies. PM me.