Military Firearm Restoration Corner

J&g Has Brazilain 7x57 Mausers

AzRednek

I'd give my right arm to have one of those, except in the past two weeks, i've bought enough crap to make our national debt look small :(

Brenden

I'd be happy with one of those barrels.

I've had 2 1908's,still have one,and they are the most pitted Mausers I've owned.I've seen several others that were as bad as mine.There is no rust or pits at all above the wood line and look beautiful,but man what a heart breaker when you pull them out of the wood.The out of stock parts of mine look as nice as any Swede 96.Please be prepared.I've heard of unpitted 1908's,but yet have seen one.Jerry

Not sure what your specific needs/interest are Ken98k, but I have a 17.5 inch Venezuelan FN 24 carbine barrel in 7x57; full military if you have an interest. Cheap.

is that oneof the ones from SARCO a while back? i have one im not going to use either

I've had 2 1908's,still have one,and they are the most pitted Mausers I've owned.I've seen several others that were as bad as mine.There is no rust or pits at all above the wood line and look beautiful,but man what a heart breaker when you pull them out of the wood.The out of stock parts of mine look as nice as any Swede 96.Please be prepared.I've heard of unpitted 1908's,but yet have seen one.Jerry

Here you go, Jerry:

FrankenMauser013.jpg

Clemson :)

is that oneof the ones from SARCO a while back? i have one im not going to use either

This came from a barreled action purchased from a gun shop in Idaho - don't know its earlier origins. Had a very nice action attached to it. Wasn't aware SARCO had sold FN 24 carbine barrels.

Not sure what your specific needs/interest are Ken98k, but I have a 17.5 inch Venezuelan FN 24 carbine barrel in 7x57; full military if you have an interest. Cheap.

Bob,

Thanks for the offer but, I've been keeping a eye out for a 29" 7X57.

Kenny

Gosh dang that's a purty action Clemson! If only mine was that clean.Reckon why the Mausers in South America were so pitted?Was it because of all the humidity? I had a Chilean 95 carbine once that had pits almost all the way through.Jerry

Fly, don't know why but every South American Mauser I've pulled out of the wood with two exceptions were pitted badly under the wood. A friend had a Venezuelan FN-49. I thought he was going to cry when we got home from the gun show and removed it from the wood.

The only exceptions I ever saw was a 09 Argie Sniper's rifle I used to have and a friend's parade rifle from Ecuador (I think) that was completely chrome plated and the stock heavily finished. I'm sure there are more exceptions out there but since I've been collecting since the early 70's, pits under the wood on SA rifles are to be expected.

According to my former father-in-law that spent apx 6-9 months a year for 30 years in South America. The weather is similar to North America except for the Amazon jungle area where the humidity is extremely high.