Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Guy Questions On Turk Mauser

Billy D

New guy questions.

I have a Turkish Mauser but I don't know what model, ring size, etc. The receiver top is marked with TC, ASFA, ANK ARA (with the Turkish moon and star between), and 1939 . The serial is 38252, and is clearly marked on the receiver and the barrel. The bottom of the receiver also has several numbers that seem to be randomly placed, plus a couple of symbols I'm not familiar with. It does not have a "B" on the bottom of the receiver. The trigger, trigger guard, and rear sight have the moon or moon & star stamp on them. The spacing between the trigger guard screw holes appears to be about 7 5/8.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm considering using this gun to build a hunting sporter for my son. It was purchased at a sporting goods store, and appears generally "original" and intact, but has modern serial numbers stamped on the receiver and barrel. This alone makes me think it has lost it's value as a collectible (if it ever had any). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Billy

Hi Billy D, welcome to the site. I would guess that you have a 1903 Turk Mauser that was converted to 8mm from 7.65 in 1939. It probably has a cut notch in the receiver to accept the longer 8mm cartridge. It is an intermediate length action and was originally German made. Parts are very hard to get for this and Yugo Mausers, that are built on the same length action but differ in certain parts. They appear to be good actions for conversion, especially for the shorter 308 case based rounds. They are large ring actions but use a small ring barrel thread, the same as, say, the Swedish Mauser. They do have the third safety lug and are 98 style actions.

I have an original 1903 convert myself but it has a Yugo bolt, as I found out. Headspace is good though and I have shot it a few times. They have increased in value over the past couple years or so but you still can buy a whole rifle for around $150 or so. An original bolt alone in good condition is going for close to $100 because they are hard to find.

What were you thinking as far as spoterizing it? Same caliber, new barrel and caliber? I believe they use the same sporter stocks as the Yugo Mausers but not positive.

Keep us posted as to your thoughts. Pictures would be good too. Do you reload ammo?

Spiris

Well, I spoke too soon. I told my son what I was thinking and, much to my surprise, he had a completely different view of things. He said he'd much rather I learn all I can about the Mauser, but leave it as it is. He said he'd get more joy out of it in it's current condition and would rather spend any money on a new rifle. Kids! I almost feel ashamed of myself now.

Guess I'll look around for something new or perhaps another sporter project in work or complete.

Thanks for th info I've already received. I'm still interested in facts, speculation, and opinion on this gun and the subject in general. My dad was a gun guy and a big fan of 98s. Maybe it's in my blood but I'm just now figuring it out.

No, I don't reload, yet!

Cheers,

Billy