Military Firearm Restoration Corner

9.3x62 Fire Forming Loads

Jimro

I've got some milsurp 30-06 that I necked up to 9.3 mm (I necked up to 8mm first, wished I'd had a 35 caliber expander for a second step but I didn't crack any necks going from 8 to 9.3 mm). Next step is to trim back to 62mm then fireform the brass to move the shoulder forward.

Since Karl has had such great success with "The Load", 13 grains of Red Dot, I'm thinking that I do something similar to that for a fireforming load.

Since .366 caliber bullets are expensive, and .365 caliber Makarov pistol bulles are cheap, but reloading data is non-existent for pushing a 95 grain pill from such a bit case I'm wondering if 13 grains of pistol powder will be enough to form the brass. I don't have any Red Dot on hand, but I keep Unique on the bench which has a slower burn rate than Red Dot. I guesstimate that the large case volume, low projectile weight, and slower powder will let me get away with the substitution without pressure.

I also think that it would be loads of fun to have a load for "explosive" results on water filled targets, and a 95 grain hollowpoint at 1,800+ fps would do just that.

Let me know what you think, any experience doing similar stuff with other cartridges.

Jimro

Since .366 caliber bullets are expensive, and .365 caliber Makarov pistol bulles are cheap, but reloading data is non-existent for pushing a 95 grain pill from such a bit case

You might want to try posting a question on one of the cast bullet groups. Chances are good you might find somebody that has put together some reduced 9.3 loads. Sometimes there is a bit of snobbery in the cast bullet groups toward jacketed bullets and their users. Stretch the truth a little and say you have both cast and jacketed bullets weighing about 100grs.

I also think that it would be loads of fun to have a load for "explosive" results on water filled targets, and a 95 grain hollowpoint at 1,800+ fps would do just that. Let me know what you think, any experience doing similar stuff with other cartridges. Jimro

Friend of mine used to get damaged bags of drywall mud for free from Home Depot. On one outing he saved the last bag for a 300 Winnie launching either a 100 or 110gr hollow point he pulled from a factory 30 Carbine. The other bags showed some spectacular results when hit with different handgun loads but the 300 Winnie load, the bag and this is no exaggeration literally exploded tossing tiny bits of plaster quite a distance in all directions.