Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Cleaning During Load Development ?

mikeh3

Finally got around to building a 22-250 on an 98 action. Took the rifle to the range today to shoot five round groups to find a good load.

After shooting the first group, I got to wondering if I should clean the barrel before shooting the next group of five. I did not clean between the five groups and the best I could get was 7/8 inch at 100 yards.

I need to bed the stock and get a good trigger before I go any further.

Finally, my question is this; How often do you clean your barrel when trying to develop a load?

Thanks,

Mike

unless it's a new barrel, I don't.

the last new barrel I shot in I cleaned with shooter's choice after the first round or two, then every five-round group after that. it is a shaw barrel from 1993 and seems to stay clean now at the 100 or so round mark.

Thanks for your reply.

Mike

I took a rifle to the range recently with three different loads that I wanted to try, 5 rounds of each. I put up three targets and shot one round from each load at each target, then went back and repeated the process until I had put all 15 rounds down range. That way, I had essentially equal dirt in the barrel for each load being evaluated. I was able to see that one load was clearly better than the other two, so I would say the experiment was successful.

Clemson

I took a rifle to the range recently with three different loads that I wanted to try, 5 rounds of each. I put up three targets and shot one round from each load at each target, then went back and repeated the process until I had put all 15 rounds down range. That way, I had essentially equal dirt in the barrel for each load being evaluated. I was able to see that one load was clearly better than the other two, so I would say the experiment was successful.

Clemson

Thanks for your reply.

Mike