Military Firearm Restoration Corner

tig welder question

Sailormilan2

Some of us, those that like doing things ourselves, would probably like to do our own welding.

Is there anyone here, with welding experience, who can point us in the direction of the right kind, size, brand, model of welder to purchase. Personally, I would like a TIG.

It wouldn't have to be a super fancy one. Since, the most it would probably be used for would be one or two bolt handles at a time. Are there any decent ones in the under $1000 price range??

Have you considered OA? It's super-handy for many, many do it yourself things. No worries about softening parts because you can use the torch to reharden. And, after you get your handle on and the cocking cam hardened you can roast a hot dog for lunch. I think it may also slice and dice biggrin.gif .

Some of us, those that like doing things ourselves, would probably like to do our own welding. 

Is there anyone here, with welding experience, who can point us in the direction of the right kind, size, brand, model of welder to purchase.  Personally, I would like a TIG.

It wouldn't have to be a super fancy one.  Since, the most it would probably be used for would be one or two bolt handles at a time.  Are there any decent ones in the under $1000 price range??

3690[/snapback]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi I am a retired fabricator welder and with my last check I bought a Miller Econotig machine for $1,300. It is air cooled and that took some getting use to for me as I had always used a water cooled torch.

The tig welder has been in use since 1994 and works well for me. Here is a c/d from Miller web site that may be usefull.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/#cd

TIG Fundamentals - CD $29.95

This CD is for anyone who's looking for a better understanding of the TIG process. Easy to understand instruction. Proven teaching steps. Expert advice. All these factors help to create a more effective academic approach to training. Specific subject areas covered are: system components, process fundamentals, electrical theory, safety and power source operation.