Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1916 Spanish Mauser & K. Kale

Uncle Grinch

I'm thinking about pulling the barrel off my 1916 Spanish mauser in .308 and have it put on my K. Kale Turk. This would give me a 98 action .308 that would be fun to shoot and it would be much safer than the Spanish 93 action. I'll have to modify the Turk stock length to make it fit, other than that, does anyone see any problems with my idea?

I plan on keeping it military looking.

I'm not familiar enough with the Spanish Mauser to know if the threads are the same as the K.Kales SR. I guess the only major issue would be the short cartridge in the long action and feed issues. You may have to use a magazine spacer. The good part of the long mag is that you can seat the bullets out from standard col and gain powder space in the short neck round. I know others have converted Turks to short rounds in the 308 based cases. Maybe they will chime in.

Spiris

I assume that you understand that you'll need to refit / adjust the shank length, headspace and shoulders to mate up with the K. Kale.

When you say adjust the stock length, are you referring to fore grip in relation to the barrel length with the 29" coming off of

the K. Kale and a 22" to 24" going on from the Spanish. You might attempt a Manlicher (spelling?).

I have a 308 on a 98 with no blocking or feed issues. Good luck.

BTW. I think this is a wise plan. I've shied away from small ring actions so far, for the very reasons that you are making this

change.

Hope your project proceeds smoothly.

Tinker

I assume that you understand that you'll need to refit / adjust the shank length, headspace and shoulders to mate up with the K. Kale.

When you say adjust the stock length, are you referring to fore grip in relation to the barrel length with the 29" coming off of

the K. Kale and a 22" to 24" going on from the Spanish. You might attempt a Manlicher (spelling?).

I have a 308 on a 98 with no blocking or feed issues. Good luck.

BTW. I think this is a wise plan. I've shied away from small ring actions so far, for the very reasons that you are making this

change.

Hope your project proceeds smoothly.

Tinker

Tinker,

Thanks for the comments. I didn't mean to misrepresent myself. I personally will not be doing the machine work as I don't have these skills. I feel like I know what I need, but am alway receptive to ideas from others, especially those who have "been there before". I might be better off buying another barrel and selling the 1916 Mauser. Small shank .308's are hard to find though, unless you spend more dollars. I'm trying to keep the cost low.

I'm looking for an inexpensive "truck gun" that uses .308 Win and looks military, that's why I plan on re-using the K. Kale stock and hardware (love those ole milsurps!).

I'm open to working a deal with someone on this forum, such as trading the '93 action and stock for the labor to install the barrel on my K. Kale.