Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk/Argy update

Pedestal

Here's a couple of pics of the Argy barrel on a Turk action that I had questions about in a previous post. The headspace worked out perfectly, although the barrel did not "time". That wasn't a big problem since I painted the rig, instead of blueing.

The metal work was fairly straightfoward. I didn't get the bolt down far enough (cut/heat/bend/migged), so had to grind a scallop to clear the scope. No biggy. After testing, I added a Bold trigger. The metal was painted with Duracoat "Gunblue"

The stock required a bit of work. It looked rather odd, with the short barrel, so I chopped a couple of inches out of the forearm. That of course got into the moulded in checkering, so that had to be filled in. I bedded the entire action and the first couple of inches of the barrel. I did not fill in the forearm, something I may do later-I don't care for that "flimsy" feel. It was painted also with Duracoat, some "Snow Grey", which is actually white. I added a tube of black Brownells Acuraglas dye to get the grey color.

user posted image

Here's a couple of groups shot in the orginal testing...

user posted image

Very nice use of a Turk. I also like the 7.65 x 53. The one I have is very accurate at 2700 fps with a 150 gr bullet. I think 1909 take off barrels are of high quality and I've got my eyes open to pick one up.

Looks good!

Save me the trouble of looking up the old post and refresh my memory please. Was this a SR bbl ro LR bbl?

i have a beautiful SR 7.65x53 bbl and was thinking of the same type of project.

Nice work, Pedestal-

If I remember correctly, you posted images of a skeleton stock on the old site.  Was it mesquite?

Also, I liked your comment about proportion: cutting the forearm to match the short barrel.

Oh,  aesthetics.

flaco

3799[/snapback]

Yeah, it was mesquite: here's a shot of it. Another fun project with lots of aesthetics.. smile.gif

user posted image

Where are you guys getting your brass?  I see that Graffs has it.

3816[/snapback]

I formed most of mine from .30-06 brass but I also have some Norma brass I got from some Norma loads I picked up.

Grafs also sells loaded ammo made by Hornady I think. That should be good brass. It might be the same as the unprimed brass thay are selling. Some of grafs brass is made by Prvi Partzan in yugoslavia or what's left of it.

I picked up a really nice looking 1909 argie this summer at a gun show. The stock and bore look great but it shoots all over the place at 50 yards (about a 2 foot group). I'm hoping that it was the surplus ammo I got. I would like to try some hand rolls before I decide the fate of the gun

Here's how I make 7.65 x 53:

user posted image

Lots of 30-06 brass is availble around Garand match time with practicing going on and the match itself.

Argie brass is easliy formed by running -06 through a FL 7.65 x 53 die and trimming to size with the cheap Lee cutters. Use of the minilathe makes it fun.

od: Regarding the inaccurate Argie: I've had to clean, and clean, and clean out barrels. Some are like archeological projects with layer after layer of copper on carbon. I use Wipe-out.

Grafs has it, and it is good brass.  I'll bet the mesquite makes for a heavy stock.  I cut several mesquite blanks last summer and put them in the attic.

Where did you get the barrel?  I like the accuracy.

3820[/snapback]

Yeah, the mesquite is pretty heavy. Of course with the rig above it doesn't weight much.

The Argy bbl was a takeoff from one of the "Engineer Carbines", that I used the action for another project. Actually, I didn't think it would shoot well, until I spent a couple of days cleaning the bbl. There really was rifling under all the crud... smile.gif

Surplus ammo isn't worth doodly.

3840[/snapback]

I have to partially disagree. I use the surplus 7.65 Argie and break it down and use the components. I don't know what is on the market today but the stuff I got several years ago have nice .312 copper jacket lead core slugs weighing apx 174grs. I dump the powder directly into 303 Brit, 7.7 Jap and the 7.65 Argie brass and discard the berdan corrosive primed brass.

I can't say it enough and please take my word for it, don't fireform brass without using good shooting glasses.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen got Ken Waters' reloading article on reloading the 7.65 Argie/Belg. mauser ctgs. Norma loads really put the 7.632/308 to shame.

As to the inaccurate M1909, I think this fellow had the misfortune to get one that had been rechambered to 30-06. FTC took Monkey Wards to court for false advertising when they sold rechambered (only) M1909 barrels as 30-06s. American Rifleman did a test using '06 ammo in the 7.65 bore. They got targets like those posted above, also keyholing, and powder puff penetration. These come up about 3-4 time a year on the auctions. Barrels completely ruinged by this rechambering. Feeding must be difficult for '06 ammo as the M1909 uses the Mauser short box magizine, as lots of guys who paid high prices for these hinged trigger guards found out.

I put a 7.62 NATO barrel on a M1903 Turk which seemed like a good combination, and, also allows me to continue criticizing the 7.62/.308 as I now actually own one. If I were able to continue shooting I would definately have used a 7.65 barrel, but the .308 barrel will make it easier to sell.

Nice workmanship on rifle which started this post, looks like a real keeper. Bill

Has anyone seen got Ken Waters' reloading article on reloading the 7.65 Argie/Belg. mauser ctgs.  Norma loads really put the 7.632/308 to shame.

4404[/snapback]

I haven't read Waters' article but Norma's published velocity can be misleading. Norma derives their numbers using test barrels of equal length to the original military barrel. Norma's 7.65 Argie figures were likely derived from a 29 inch test barrel, it's published velocity best I recall was right on the heels of US 7.62 and commercial 308 Winchester whose velocitys were tested from a much shorter barrel.

Norma loads the 7.65x53 to 52,000 psi. The .308 is loaded to 62,000 psi. The published velocites in a 24" bbl are almost equal to the .308's. If loaded to equal prssures the 7.65x53 would best the .308 just like the .30-06 does.

Accurate Arms 7.65x53 Data

Thanks Z. I've got the compiled Ken Water's loading articles from G&A, two volume set. Can't figure out how to stuff it into the computer. As recoil, as well as energy, is a function of diameter of projectile as well as pressure it seems that the 1889 Belgian/Argie Mauser is a much more efficient cartridge. I still don't understand why the US didn't go with the extreme shortened cartridges of the Germans or Russians. But then we also picked the AR15 as a service weapon. Bill

Norma loads the 7.65x53 to 52,000 psi.  The .308 is loaded to 62,000 psi.  The published velocites in a 24" bbl are almost equal to the .308's.  If loaded to equal prssures the 7.65x53 would best the .308 just like the .30-06 does.

Accurate Arms 7.65x53 Data

4412[/snapback]

I sprung for a box of Hornady, just to see how it would shoot in my project. It's headstamped Frontier, and I assume loaded by Norma. I'll report back when I've had a chance to shoot it. (Which, thanks to Rita, may be a while..sad.gif )

• 2 weeks later...

911rat,

Have you tried contacting a reamer manufacturer? When I bought my 8x68s reamer, I bought a go-gauge to go along with it. I can't remember exactly how much it cost, but it wasn't all that expensive for the gauge direct from the maker.

Jason