Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Economics... Rethreaded Barrel Or New Barrel

Uncle Grinch

I often see various commercial rifle barrels that have been removed and rethreaded for Mausers and since I am looking at my options on making a .308 plinker for my K. Kale action, I wonder about the cost factor of picking up a $30-$50 Remington .30 caliber barrel and having it rethreaded to fit my small ring Turk. ( I started another thread about swapping my 1916 Spanish 308 barrel to my Turk, but am now considering selling it and putting the $$ towards the Turk)

First... Is it practical, cost wise, assuming I have to pay someone to do this?

Second... What barrels would work best, ie... Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, etc...?

Thanks....

Mike

First... Is it practical, cost wise, assuming I have to pay someone to do this?

Quite possibly, before I attempted to do it myself I found a local machine shop that did one for $20.

Just the threading. I was on my own to cut the shoulders to fit.

You might find a shop that can match the take off thread shank thread and length then all you need to do is ream it

for proper head space.

Second... What barrels would work best, ie... Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, etc...?

On a Turk the Reminton is the classic. Many have been done before.

Winchesters might be a bit more work. Some have said that the Mauser (.98X12) can be cut over the

Winchester threads. I attempted it once and made a mess. Otherwise cut the Winchester thread shank

off and start fresh with a slightly shorter barrel ( genuinly short chambered ).

Ruger I think is the same story as Winchester. Savage I don't know.

Thanks....

Mike

I don't want to speak for the guy that is closest to you but some guys will help you out if you bring it over.

What you are asking about is not that big of a deal to a few members.

I can't say it yet but I hope to one day be one of those for whom this is no big deal.

If I were in that position I'd help you out but unfortunatly I'm not there yet.

Tinker

I think the econimics are in favor of of the take-offs because with a Remington barrel you end up with a higher quality barrel than say a A&B.

However, if it's going to cost you a $100 bucks to get the remington rethreaded it's probably not worth it.

• 2 months later...

i:ve put several rem barrels on the turks...if you brought it over i:d do it for free..but you can"t ...all the legal stuff with shipping will cost you to much to ship it to me ...look for someone locally

Hey Guy,does the offer still stand?

Not to hijack this thread, but along the same lines. Do the MiniMauser/Rem 799 barrels have enough meat in the shank to be able to be rethreaded to small ring Mauser threads without cutting off the threaded shank? There is a guy selling unfired Rem 799 barrels on Gunbroker and if one can rethread them, the can be rechambered to 22/250 easily.