Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stock Duplicater

sonic1

I'm looking, but i dont see how it handles the Z axis. i would think the router and guide pin are the ones that need to move up and down, and do so easily. i would also think a more powerful router would be appropriate.

heath

724wd hit on the problem with this machine. It appears that the vertical travel of the router and indexing head occurs by pivoting around the bar that runs perpendicular to the axis of the stocks. By mounting the cutter on an arm, the angle of the cut will change from 90 degrees as this arm rotates. The relatively short radius of this arm exacerbates the problem.

For outside shaping it would work, and might even be acceptable for inletting shallow side plates as pictured. However, for deeper inletting where you want the sides straight, like a mauser, it wouldn't work as the sides of the cut would curve.

What is needed is a double pivot bracket so that the cutter can plunge straight up and down. Think of the retractable brackets that hold small outboard kicker/trolling motors on the transom of a boat... Something like that would work.