Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mule Deer Hunt Finally Here

Horsefly

I leave tomorrow morning around 5 for my annual hunting trip down on the Mexican border.There's been lots of rain there this year,so the hunting should be top shelf.The ranch is 65 miles up the Rio Grande from Presidio Tx,and they've had terrible floods a few weeks ago,so we don't know what to expect when we get there.I'll be back in 8 days and hopefully have a good report for you cats.Rod,any deer we get that don't get mounted,well,the capes are yours.Wish I had known last year you needed some,'cause I threw away 3.You dudes behave while I'm gone.Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Got back Sat. eve,and don't have much to report,but man-o-man did we have a blast.One dude shot a 4 point,Texas count that was against the rules.Suppose to be at least a 6 and wider than the ears.I turned down 3 bucks that were carbon copies of the 6 I've taken the last 7 years,so I held off,and am glad I did.Reckon I'm turning into a trophy hunter.I saw one covey of quail,and one herd of javelina.We had a full moon all week that was so bright,you could have hunted at night.The bucks weren't even thinking of rutting,and still running in groups,and the does still had yearlings with them.We had a terrible dust storm,rain,and snow on the mountains,and it got down too 22,which is a winter blast for down there.The crappy weather gave us time to run across the border and do a little shopping,and a whole lot of beer drinking.The new guy on the lease was messing with his rifle Thursday morning and squeezed off a shot inside the house,shooting a hole through the brand new metal roof,so I don't know if he'll be back or not.The rules are,no loaded guns in the house,and he broke the rule,and of course,he didn't know it was loaded.We'd leave them in the jeep in the barn,but there's so many illegales crossing at night,you don't dare leave your guns out or the keys in your vehicles.I took my Honda 300 4x4 fourtrax that I gave a $100.00 for,(but with new tires,starter,plastic pieces,have $500.00 in it)and had a great time riding the trails.Those mulies will let you drive right up on them,way,way different than a whitetail.That's about all I got to report.We had steaks,ribs,shrimp,and chicken fried backstrap for supper,and gigantic breakfast every morning,but I don't do breakfast,so made up for it at night.Oh yah,the biggest buck I saw and could have plunked was from the back yard of the ranch house. Jerry

Glad to hear you had a good time Jerry. As most of us know you don't always have to harvest a trophy to have a sucessful hunt. Good story, thats scary about the gun going off inside the house. That could have easily been a person. Thank goodness nobody was injured.

Brenden

Jerry!

I envy the hell out of you. All I've had time to do this year is work. Work, work, and more work. I've been deer hunting twice this year and didn't see anything. So, I'm glad to hear you cats had a large time on the border.

Stay warm up there in DFW!

-Jason

The new guy on the lease was messing with his rifle Thursday morning and squeezed off a shot inside the house,shooting a hole through the brand new metal roof,so I don't know if he'll be back or not.The rules are,no loaded guns in the house,and he broke the rule,and of course,he didn't know it was loaded.

Dood! didn't we tell you to be careful! :angry: glad no one was hurt... scary. i've only seen one accidental discharge. it was a buddy that was swinging his remington pump rifle off his shoulder and it fired straight down - 4 inches from his foot! scary for sure! sounds like a good trip, other than the AD & forked horn being shot!

heath