Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finally Shot The 9.3x62

Jimro

Got to the range today. The 9.3x62 is more of a push than a sharp kick from my rifle, the barrel being a little longer and a little heavier really helps.

Hotter loads than commercial Prvi Partizan will probably increase the recoil factor, so I'm going to try some 270 gr Speer hot pour bullets.

pictures of rifle here http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/...08/mausers.html

Now I've got the itch to put together a Twede....

Jimro

Love your website! Especially liked the range trip story.

Just wait till you load those 286's to 2400+. Amazing how much more attention 200 fps draws. Of course, mine weighs a good bit less than yours. With that 25.6" bbl on yours you should be able to get 2500+. No buff will walk away from a properly placed shot.

A Twede would be nice. Real Milsurp barrel or commercial? I've acquired three 6.5x55's this year and can't get over how much fun they are to shoot. Almost makes my 257 Bob seem supurfluous. In fact, were it not built on a SR Mexican I would dump it.

I'm finishing up two 9.3x64's and one 9.3x62 at the moment. As some one on another sit eis fond of saying, "there are no fleas on the 9.3's." :P

I've been looking at two 6.5x55's one set up for my wife and one setup for long range shooting.

The wife's rifle is the tough one from a build standpoint, heavy enough so that there isn't any recoil, light enough so that she can pack it all day. her rifle would get a moderate handload built for accuracy. The high BC and SD bullets in the 6.5 bore retain velocity/energy and penetrate really well even with a fairly sedate load, and it doesn't take much to kill a deer.

A target rifle is an easy build, just big and heavy. I figure some hotter handloads in 6.5x55 will be able to get out to 1K with about 10 to 15 MOA less than a 308 pushing a 175 SMK. The goal would get a high BC bullet like a 140 gr Berger VLD out the muzzle between 2750 (est 35 moa to 1K and upper end of 260 REM performance) and 2950 (est 29.5 moa to 1k and in the realm of 6.5x284 performance) fps in a SUB MOA load. A longer barrel would help so I could keep the pressure down while burning up all the IMR 7828 to get good velocity. I can only get away with this because of the safety of the m98 action.

Jimro

Jimro, those are both equally beautiful rifles. Good to hear you got to do some shooting. I've been considering doing a 9.3x57, but the cost of bullets and reloading dies kind of scare my wallet. It will have to be done some day. I've got a sweed that i gave my dad, not the best barrel in the world but he loves it so thats all that matters. Im pretty stuck on the 06 family. I have a wierd fasination with necking up and down a 30-06 case. that 6.5-06 really has my attention. After the 338-06 is complete, i've got a 24/47 action that needs a 308 barrel. I've grown to respect a 308, not the "rainbow" gun i always thought it was when i was younger. Nice site too by the way.

Brenden

Thanks!

If you have a 338-06 then you already have a "one gun solution". I got lucky, dies for 9.3x62 from RCBS were only 30 bucks new from midwayusa.com

Just picked up 50 Speer Hot Pour 270 grain bullets, expensive little buggers, but they were the only thing that sportsmans warehouse had in stock.

Jimro

Just picked up 50 Speer Hot Pour 270 grain bullets, expensive little buggers, but they were the only thing that sportsmans warehouse had in stock.

Jimro

I just received a $30 gift card for Sportsmans, Maybe I can get a 1/2 box of bullets!

If they have any that is. The last time I was in our local Sportsmans the ammo shelves were bare.