Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hey FC - can you check something for me?

Doble Troble

I'm knee-deep into putting together a muzzleloader from a Track of the Wolf kit. I can't find my copy of "Recreating the American Longrifle" and am too cheap to order another one. Things disappear with twin active 5 yos around. Anyway I've got the lock inlet until the hammer contacts the stock and it's still about 1/8" from being flush with the barrel. Question: Is there any space between barrel touch hole and flash pan of your flintlock? This on its's face doesn't seem to be a good idea, but of course I don't know what I'm doing. If there is no space, is your stock relieved for the hammer? If not Mr. Rasp will have to be called out.

Given your condition I only expect yes or no answers. TIA.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got the barrel, tang, lock and trigger plate inlet now. I screwed-up on the lock plate and inlet the bottom too far so that it was cocked at an angle. I couldn't figure-out why I couldn't get the flash pan flush with the barrel and so I kept at the inletting thinking I was being patient, but what I was really being was inobservant. Finally when the flash pan gap started to get wider I was able to comprehend the big picture and finally see the angle that the lock was at. There were a lot of little rubs at the top of the lock and once relieved the pan snugged right up to the barrel - but only after rocking the bottom of the lock off the stock. Typical rookie over inletting error. I cheated and mixed-up a bit of Marine Tex and bedded the bottom of the lock and now everything is A-OK.

Next adventure: Drilling the lock and tang bolts.

I must say that this is an excellent learning experience, and I've been doing some Mauser bolt/trigger optimization in the mean time. I can tell that my filing and fitting skills have improved as a result of trying to assemble this smoke pole.

BTW I did have to relieve for the hammer.