Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Slight Pitting - How Big Of An Issue?

724wd

i'm all set up to work on this gun i have, but i am wondering about the slight pitting it has. will it effect anything?

slightlypittedmauser.jpg

what do you guys think? good base to start a project on? :D

I'm sorry, your avatar was distracting me. Again. :P

As to your rifle, well...looks like a helluva wall hanger. I'm not sure you'll be able to surface grind that one back to health. I'm afraid it looks just a little too far over the edge to be brought back.

holy hell camera man, thats a sweet rifle. I bet its a sub MOA shooter. I'd use epoxy on it and just shave off the excess, then dura coat it pink or something exotic looking. Make it a gay pride sniper rifle.

Brenden

i WISH it was mine! what a cool wall hanger. i think the conclusion was it was a battlesite find original sniper. found it on militaryrifles.com.

i DO have a mystery coming tomorrow. my neighbor is heavy into fairly high dollar guns (x-calibergrips.com), and today he was at his folks house and they pulled out "one of his old guns." well, he doesnt recognize it as his, and doesnt know what it is,but says it's rough and NOT a mauser. there was mention of springfield, but we'll see. he says i can have it since it's not his style ($$$)! WOOT! i love a mystery!

heath

I had a 09 Argie with the same scope mounts and turned down a $500 offer for the mounts only. I'm assuming those are the same turret mounts used on early WW2 German sniper rifles. The offer I got occurred before SARCO started selling repos of that particular mount and I assume prices dropped. If you can some how salvage the mounts you might be able to pick up a few bucks or have some valuable horse trading material.

• 3 weeks later...

I've a 1938 vz24 receiver has some minor pitting at the wood line. But there is a couple big ones on the receiver ring. My plans were to get installed a kongsberg 7.62x51 barrel installed. Globe target sight up frong and probably get a lyman steel 57 for the rear sight. Won a bid on ebone for a really nice vz24 stock. no handguard. The stock is cherry. Few dents but nothing some hard work couldn't fix. sand down the stock, glass bed the receiver and about the first inch or so of the barrel. Think I'll leave it at its origional length. If I could figure out some what to get a mount for either a redfield olympic or international I'd be even happier. I can get the receiver bead blasted and that would take care of the worse pitting except whats on the receiver ring. Or just say the heck with it and blast it and get it blued Have had this receiver for years.always could go to plan B and swap out all the action parts and put them on my WWI JP Sauer& Sonn receiver dated 1916. also has the 1920 overstrike. Ah well what to do. Any suggestions??? And who could do the tig welding safe enough so's the entire receiver does not have to go reheatreatment??. Thanks Frank

Frank46, I believe if you do any tig welding on the receiver, it will need to be heat treated. I could be wrong, but from all the posts that I've read in the past, any welding affects the temper.

Do you have to blue the unit? Have you considered using an applied coating? It would require blasting all metal parts, then preferably parkerizing the metal for protection, then filling the pits with epoxy and sanding smooth, then airbrush the coating(I use Duracoat) to your satisfaction. You can bypass the parkerizing if desired, but it's easy to do. Duracoat is far more durable than any bluing and nearly impervious to marking after a few weeks for total drying. You can handle it after a few hours of drying. I know it's heresy to talk about coating Mausers to a few, but for me, It is the only thing that I use due to the cost of bluing.

It is a viable option.

Spiris

Heath,

Here's a S&W 270win to go with your Mauser sniper rifle.

I found it on a gravel bar in a glacial river in south central AK about 15 years ago.

SW270001.jpg

that is so cool! i've always wanted to find a gun... one forgotten or lost like that. what a "trophy"

I was thinking Redfield.

That's just one cool find. I'd like to know the story behind how it got there on the sandbar.

The un-verified story I heard is this.

Three guys who were after mountain goat, went up this river as far as they could with a jet boat, and then started climbing.

After collecting 3 goats they returned to the boat and started back down this relitively fast river.

They subsequently swaped the boat and lost everything, rifles, goats, packs, everything. They almost drowed but luckily made it back alive.

Then I came along 10 years or so later and found this rifle.