Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Boogered scope mount screws

Horsefly

I bought a used rifle that has Conetrol scope mounts,and whoever sold it took off the scope and rings,but couldn't get the mounts off and made a mess of the screw heads.I don't have a screwdriver tip that will hold either.I'm wondering if one of those impact drivers like we used on motorcycle engines would work,if I could find a tip small enough?If new rings will cover the screw heads,I may leave them 'cause I know they won't shoot loose.Whoever mounted them must have used red locktite.Jerry

horsefly,

If the mounts are on tight and there is no need to remove them(ie. blueing or leveling) then I would leave them be. If you need to remove them, try deepening the boogered slot with a burr in a dremel tool. Then heat the proper bit with a propane torch (just a few seconds) and apply the bit to the screw head to transfer the heat(30 sec). This will soften the Loctite. Then try to remove. I would hesitate to use the impact driver because it might shear off the screw head. If you do, make sure the screw is good and hot and use penetrating oil. Most import stores carry 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive impact drivers for around $6-$9. They also sell a set of adapters that will convert the driver to 1/4 inch. You can then insert a 1/4 inch socket on the end and use 1/4 inch gunsmith screwdriver bits. Use light taps.

Bob

Thanks feller! I'll try all suggestions until I get them out.I'd like to get the mounts off so that I can use Leopold mounts,the Conetrol rings are around 60 bucks,and I have Leopold bases and mounts already.Jerry

If you suspect that the screws are locktited in place it may help to strike the screw with a hammer and an old screwdriver after you heat it and before you try to remove it. If someone used the red locktite you will probably twist the head off of the screw before you get the threads to turn. I believe it takes about 400 deg. to break down the high strength stuff and a sharp hammer blow is usually required also.

I tried every idea,and the only thing left to do is grind the mounts off with my Dremel so that I can get some small vise grips on the screw ends,so reckon I'll bite the bullet and buy some 50.00 rings and leave the mounts on. I gave her a hell of a try,but had to holler calf rope on this one.Jerry