Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hunting Success

GA1dad

I did get 2 white tails, a buck, and a doe so far. Kansas has a split season and reopens New Years day I have two more doe tags left. This is the first time I've hunted with my 7 Mag I built, it's on a 09 action and has a piece of English walnut for a stock, and a P.O. Ackley barrel. I built this rifle 16 years ago when I was going to Gunsmithing school in Trinidad, co. here are a couple of pictures of the rifle.

7mag.jpg

7magsafety.jpg

7magbolt.jpg

As deer season is wrapping up across the country,,,, I was wondering how many of you took game with your sporters this year??? Please share pics.

Jay

Here you go. Not a Mauser, but, a Mauser variant. P14 Enfield in 7mmRem. mag I finished and used for the first time this year. Weaver77 and I hunt together and build guns together. Although this is my first post, I've been lurking for quite a while. Mainly to keep an eye on Weaver. :lol:

MVC-012F-1.jpg

just a little 2x3 mulie for me. i was meat hunting (and this guy looked TASTY!). that's not to say i didn't first take a few shots at the BIG whitetail on opening day. but my shooting-fu was weak and he lit the afterburners and headed for the border. all shots taken with my 30/06 seen here...

100_4257.jpg

same gun i've posted with animals i took year before last.

heath

Great Posts!!!!

I guess my year was successful,,,,,,,, I never squeezed a trigger. I saw a total of 14 deer, 3 were bucks. But none were what I was looking for.

That's OK though,,,,,, I'm not out there "JUST" to shoot. I like being out there. If I never shoot another one,,,,,, it'll be alright. I've shot enough,,,,, now it's my sons turn.

Thanks again for the posts and pics.

Rojelio,,,,,, I'd have dropped that deer too. That's what I'm holding out for.

GA1dad, keep holding out and you'll get that big one. You kill the big ones by not killing the little ones. Weaver77 didn't kill a deer last year on this place and so far he hasn't killed one this year. He's holding out for a mature (4 yrs. or older) buck. I've killed about a dozen hogs and Weaver has killed enough hogs to fill up a semi trailer. We were infested with hogs this year. It was nothing to see 50 a piece in one evening hunt. We finally have them thinned down to controllable numbers. Other than that, lots of javelinas and turkeys.

Happy hunting, Rojelio

you guys ever decide you need help controlling the hog infestation, you let me know! i would love to treat my dad to a hog hunt, but the guided trips are pretty steep for pork.

heath