Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Concoction Wood Finish

Ron J

I decided to try out another mix of things to make a stock finish. I would call it a utility type finish. Maybe not for a top of the line custom, but meets my demands. My goal was:

1) A finish that would not be sanded in. I think that mottles grain details.

2) Hand-rubbed oil satin look.

3) Fairly durable and moisture resistant.

4) Hopefully easy to repair and doesn't take 6 mos to do.

I used 3 components. Minwax Antique Oil Finish (red flat can), Ace Hardware brand oil based gloss spar varnish and raw Tung oil. The spar varnish would be thinned a bit using the Minwax finish rather than mineral spirits. The Tung oil would help hand application, add looks and retard curing. The MAOF and the spar are both alkyd resin type and they mix together with the Tung and don't separate. I used 1/3 each. The first step is the Minwax straight out of the can after sanding to 320. Treated it like a sealer, brushing it in for quite a while, adding where it soaked in and wiping the excess off. Every day after I put a coat of the 3 part mixture on wet with my fingers. Just before it gets sticky, wipe off with cheap paper towels. Wipe pretty dry. Make sure it gets a coat a day. (The spar will cure in 24 hrs by itself.) I wanted each coat to bite into the previous without letting it dry and sanding, therefore all become one coat. The 7th coat was sanded, wet with the mixture, very lightly with 1000 grit. Only the top of the finish is sanded - as soon as the paper moves easy you're 95% done. Done this way there is no dulling. The remaining finish at that point is rubbed in with the palm of the hand. Add a few drops if its drying up. Rub hard enough to create heat. The next 2 coats were put on with the palm method and everything remained buttery smooth with a nice soft luster. Note: This does not fill pores and wasn't supposed to. That will be the next experiment blended into this finish. More pics of this are in the Firearm Restoration section, the cold bluing thread. I used this finish to redo that Remington .22.post-466-1230434861_thumb.jpgpost-466-1230434798_thumb.jpg

Walnut, you are quite the concoctionist. I've often wondered about combining finishes, but never sure if they would complement one another, or cancel each other out. I'd hate to have an adverse reaction and end up with a cloudy finsh. Interesting experiment.