Military Firearm Restoration Corner

It Must Be A Sickness!

ken98k

Way to go,not saying no.Looks like a nice clean rifle.What's the plans for it? Jerry

That's one I would not touch, assuming of course it is still intact. Very Nice!

I'm not planning to sport this one, even though it looks to be very serviceable and there are no matching numbers on any part of it.

I got it mostly just to fill a blank spot in my collection. The only other GEW98 I have was an 1916 Erfurt converted to a kar98k, and then the Israelis stamped 7.62 on top of the reciever ring.

I'd hate to see that Oberndorf crest with holes D&Ted through it.

Rojelio nice collection!! What is that one second to the left?? Looks like an 88 with the conversion to me.

Yes, it's an 1888 Commission rifle thats been converted to use stripper clips. It's also a Turk. Those Turks were busy little beavers weren't they?

Rojelio

I also have a 1918 Oberndof. It is a very clean and nice rifle and all matching except the floorplate i believe. I picked it up this past summer after my neighbor made the mistake of puting a price on it. It also has the moon on the reciever as yours, but not on the bolt handle. As soon as i bought it i said no to putting a new barrel on it, but man was it hard! Nice find.

Brenden

I also have a 1918 Oberndof. It is a very clean and nice rifle and all matching except the floorplate i believe. I picked it up this past summer after my neighbor made the mistake of puting a price on it. It also has the moon on the reciever as yours, but not on the bolt handle. As soon as i bought it i said no to putting a new barrel on it, but man was it hard! Nice find.

Brenden

I have a 1918 Obie receiver, does that count?

Yes, it's an 1888 Commission rifle thats been converted to use stripper clips. It's also a Turk. Those Turks were busy little beavers weren't they?

Rojelio

Thought so, I've got one just like it, reason I asked. I used to shoot mil-surp ammo in mine before I knew better and fortunately never had a problem. After reading a gun rag article that said this particular rifle is the reason USA ammo manufactures keep their 8MM mild. Now I only shoot very mild reloads in it. Back in the 70's I recall seeing a few really beautiful sporters made from the 88's action.

My 88 is supposed to be a TV star!! The gunshow seller claimed he got it and several others at a California TV studio that went belly-up.

Got some bad news this morning.

It seems that this GEW98 that I have searched for years to find may be a stolen gun.

I'm going to give a description and serial # to the state Troopers tomorrow.

I guess if it is stolen the original owner will be happy to get it back, though I'll be heart broken. :(

Got some bad news this morning.

It seems that this GEW98 that I have searched for years to find may be a stolen gun.

I'm going to give a description and serial # to the state Troopers tomorrow.

I guess if it is stolen the original owner will be happy to get it back, though I'll be heart broken. :(

:( That is bad news!! Keep us updated. If it is, can you get your money back? How did you get this information?

Rojelio

:( That is bad news!! Keep us updated. If it is, can you get your money back? How did you get this information?

Rojelio

Well, I gave the serial # and description as well as the names of previous owners as far back as I could (4) to the State Troopers this morning and they said it was okay. I'm guessing they must have entered the info into so kind of data base. :rolleyes:

What started this was the guy that sold it to me said he had to have it back because it was part of an investigation.

I'm thinking he may have got a better offer after he sold it to me. I haven't told him yet about my talking to the Troopers. :angry:

He also doesn't know the the going price for GEW 98's has just gone through the roof!

If he really wants it back $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kenny

Sorry how all this turned out Kenny.I read all the comments sent in to the paper,and all that were trying to blame the military seemed like ok folks that just needs answers to how something like that mans murder could happen.I can't imagine anyone being that cruel and cold blooded without the involvement of drugs.What now?Do you turn your rifle over to the police,and your out the money,but everyone done the line back to Dan made money they can keep?Hope that makes since.Jerry

I turned the rifle over to the detectives this morning.

It seems the reason the Troopers didn't know it was stolen was nobody new the serial #. They just knew the rifle was missing and who took it.

There are some real dirt bags around here. It went through the hands of several "good citizens" who rather than do the right thing and turn it in and help out with this murder investigation, just wanted to unload quickly before they got caught with it.

Ultimately my co-worker ended with it through his son.

It's a real shame because Dan (better known as Blondi) was a real nice guy. I dealt with him many times, buying mre's for hunting.

It's hard to believe so many people would hinder the prosecution of his murderers by not coming forward at once.

That just sux. I didn't read all the comments, but at usual, a bunch of crap on teh 1ntr4w3b, yo, intermixed with some good people. AK is strange in it's political mix, but that's a different topic.

So, it looks to me like Dan may have inadertantly puchased something from one or more of these a-holes and that something was stolen from the military, and the military was investigating it and Dan could have pointed out exactly where he got it. So they killed him. Now instead of almost no punishment for a theft, they are facing a murder wrap. They obviously aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer. Buying electronics with his credit cards after they killed him. I suspect drugs are involved in this somewhere, just indirectly. They probably were stealing the stuff to sell for drug money. Buying electronics with stolen credit cards is also something the druggies do. They then sell the electronics cheap for more drug money.

As for the rifle, I'd say the guy you got it from owes you your money back, and whoever he got it from owes him. I guess it like that old saying that if the deal seems too good to be true, it is.

You did the right thing by turning it over to the police. Hopefully it finds it's way back to the owner. This came from my X-wife's mouth, she was a cop at the time. Never, never, never surrender a stolen gun to cops without getting a dated receipt.

Years ago I bought a hot gun at a yard sale and had to turn it over to the cops. I filed a small claims court action against the seller, he didn't show and basically I had to eat it plus the 30 or so bucks in court costs. I just let it go rather than spending more money in the court system. I never did find out the details behind the stolen gun. All I was able to find out was it was turned over to another Arizona municipality.

Close friend of mine went into the pawnshop business for a short time. He claimed his only recourse was going for a civil judgment against the seller for property he paid for and had to turn over to the police.

You did the right thing by turning it over to the police. Hopefully it finds it's way back to the owner.

The owner is dead. Beaten and strangled to death by the guys that stolen the rifle.

I did get a receipt from the police and I got my money back from the guy I bought it from.

I don't know what will happen to the rifle after the trial. I assume it belongs to Dan's estate.

I know I don't want it.

The police couldn't tell me the exact reason for the murder due to the ongoing investigation but they did say when it becomes public knowledge I will be amazed at how stupid it is.

Probably 1 or 2 cases of stolen MREs.