Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Shrouds

roscoedoh

Fellas,

I plan to button up my 30-06 in the next two week, but need a couple parts to do it.

I plan on using a side safety trigger and proper bolt shroud of some type to complete things. I have settled on a Bold Optima, but I am undecided on which shroud.

The vendor I plan to purchase both the trigger and bolt shroud from offers an FN style shroud and a commercial style shroud. I am curious as to what the practical difference is between them and why I would prefer one over the other as the photos of each makes them out to look the same. I'm presently looking at the FN style pretty hard, but would value opinions on both. If any of you have experience with either the "FN" style shroud or the "commercial" shroud, I'd love to hear what you think about them.

Thank you for your time.

Jason

Jason,I bought a shroud for a Swede 96 a couple years back from Brownells,and it wouldn't come close to working,so I ask an old man that builds beautiful custom rifles on Mauser actions and he said he gave up on trying to make Brownells work,but has better luck,not good luck,with Sunny Hill shrouds,and that they aren't worth the trouble and uses Bueler safeties now.Jerry

I have used the sunny hill shroud and it works fine, the only issue is when you need to disassemble the bolt. They make it alot more difficult to take it apart. Also it depends on if your a proponent of a safety that actually stops the striker from falling. For the price the quality is good and it deffinately looks better (to me) than the original shroud with safety.

Jer

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I've got it figured out.

I know that trigger block safeties aren't the best, but I'm trying to get my rifle in order for deer season and I'm not fond of Buehler type safeties as I plan on shooting this rifle without the scope on it occasionally. Moreover, Dad's never had a safety malfunction with his much beloved Remington Varminter and its got the simple side safety on it. I think I'll be alright for the time being. For now, I'm putting it in a synthetic stock with the FN shroud and a side safety. Later on, after deer season, I may restock this rifle with a nice piece of walnut and get a Chapman two-position (or heaven forbid a Wisner three-position) safety and call it all good. That said, I don't consider something that only locks the trigger much of a safety.

Again, thanks for the help guys!

Have a good weekend.

Jason

The original M98 bolt shroud shield was designed to completely cover the opening in the rear receiver ring, into which the bolt is inserted, thus protecting the shooter's face from gas blow back in the event of a ruptured case. Early FN commercial rifles used the orighinal M98 bolt shroud with a low angle wing safety and have the wider, higher gas shield. When FN went to a streamlined bolt shroud and side-safety, they narrowed and lowered the gas sheild.

It's possible to relieve the lower right edge of the original wider gas shield to sucessfully clear a side safety On-Off tab. Or, a commercial low angle bolt shroud wing safety can replace the original 90 degree wing safety, thus providing for scope mounting while preserving the increased gas blow-by protection and greater reliability of a firing pin lock as opposed to a trigger block safety. Both bolt disassembly, and working live rounds out of the magazine, is far safer with the safety "ON" (if Lee Mk II or Beuhler wing safeties are used), which is generally not posible with side safeties. Comparing both the older and newer shrouds on a M98 with a mounted side-safety makes the difference very easy to see.

The older, wider and higher bolt shroud and low wing safety is considered by most gunsmiths to be safer, but, the newer shroud design provides a more streamlined look. As modern brass cartridge cases and deterent powder coatings have largely eliminated case ruptures in properly loaded cartridges the need for the larger gas shield is questionable. However, an over-oiled action can result is a spray of oil in the shooters face, and, handloading has relulted in reintroducing ruptured case gas blow-by. Just what we all needed, more decisions to make. Bill

Guest Guest_mod70_*

I have used the Sunnyhills on a couple of guns and they work fine with the Bold trigger. They are cast metal and need to be polished if you are doing a regular blue job. I am going to try something else on my next project just to see how other approaches work. Been too busy to do much of anything lately...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_BradD_*

Guys, FYI. Sarco has ORIGINAL FN commercial bolt shrouds for 3 for $89. You can't beat that price and you can't beat the quality.

Please leave a few for me....

Brad