Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Crimp Groove Question

ken98k

A few years ago I bought 2 boxes of 338, 250 grn Nosler partition bullets.

One box had the grooves, the other did not. I could not find any difference on the boxes, same model numbers etc.

Anyone ever run into this?

My understanding is that the ones with the groove are the older original style, which were made on some kind of a lathe/screw machine. It has been years since I read the description, and I have slept since then, so my memory is a bit hazy. Those without the groove are the new style, made by impact extrusion.

My understanding is that the ones with the groove are the older original style, which were made on some kind of a lathe/screw machine. It has been years since I read the description, and I have slept since then, so my memory is a bit hazy. Those without the groove are the new style, made by impact extrusion.

That's interesting since I bought both boxes at the same time.

I was planning to get some 210 grn partions for my 338-06 but I'm a little concerned about the lack of the groove.

On lesser calibers, I've seen recoil drive the bullet deeper into the case due to no crimp.

I can only suggest investing in a Lee factory crimp die. They aren't expensive. They will secure the bullets without the cannelure. You need it for some of the heavier recoiling rounds.

Spiris

I have to agree with Spiris, the Lee tool will put a groove into the bullet. It would probably worth your time to write Nosler. A few years ago I wrote Remington complaining about some 338 brass. They sent me a bunch of brass no charge. Make certain you mention all numbers on the box.

I've got some bullets for my 338-06 as well. Some hornady 200 grs w/the crimp groove, and a box of nosler 200 gr flat base b-tips w/out the crimp. I crimped the hornady's and neck tension has the b-tips.

My neck tension seems to be sufficent, if not pretty tight. Also, i'm loading compressed loads on the b-tips w/no crimp groove, not too sure it can really go any where. I've never had a problem with bullets seating deeper on, say my 30-06 but i'm sure it could happen.

Are you guyes suggesting the lee factory crimp on a bullet with no cannulear (sp?)? I always thought one wasn't susposed to try to crimp a non cannulear bullet because you could score the bullet? Or does it lightly supply more neck tension w/out the scoring?

Brenden :blink:

Are you guyes suggesting the lee factory crimp on a bullet with no cannulear (sp?)? I always thought one wasn't susposed to try to crimp a non cannulear bullet because you could score the bullet? Or does it lightly supply more neck tension w/out the scoring?

Brenden :blink:

The Lee Factory Crimp die will put a crimp groove into the bullet. No where near as good as the factory but using the Lee tool that bullet ain't moving untill you shoot it.