Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Local Gun Shops

724wd

anybody here friendly with any gun shop owners? i am having thoughts of changing careers from graphic designer working for someone else to entrepreneur. thinking about what i like, and what is marketable in most economic climates, i'm wondering if it's worth looking into opening a gun store. i have some idea of what is involved: FFL, insurance, security, building, power, marketing, inventory, bookkeeping, employees (if needed), etc. my dad opened his body shop the year i was born, 1978, and has weathered many a storm. so i have some help on the business insight side, though the businesses are in different fields. i was always told growing up it's hard to make a living working for someone else. i'm starting to see that now. my bosses ideas on how to run a business and mine differ greatly, and it pisses me off to see the areas he falters, and isn't interested in anyone's opinion. so i was wondering if any of you chaps know a local owner that might be willing to provide a little more insight on whether or not this is a viable business opportunity in the modern world.

my neighbor is friends with a guy that owns a small shop near my house, but the guy was an ass the one and only time i went in his shop, ready to buy a holster. he showed no interest in helping me. i had internet prices ($22 w/shipping) and knew which holster i wanted and told him if he could get it for around $30, i'd buy from him. he said it wasn't worth his time. he actually told me that. i wasnt worth his time. so i haven't been back.

i have a few other ideas running around in my head. urban archery shop, novelty bakery items, .....

what do you guys think?

heath

I just found a small gun shop where the guy just opens evenings and weekends.

That may be an option for you. Get the business established before quitting your day job.

I know what you mean about working for someone else. The company I work for was bought out buy a large corporation that has no clue about our business. They are very steadily running us into the ground.

Heath, I've been there and done that!! Forget a gun shop, there just isn't enough profit to make a business thrive. Do the math, you will make apx 50-150 in profit per gun you have in your inventory. Internet orders will make you apx 10% or less. I took on firearms as a side line in a blue uniform shop and they were more trouble than what they were worth. If you want to deal with guns and make money consider a pawnshop.

Check with Junior Colleges in your area and see if they have any classes on operating a small business. You have to pay and deal with things like quarterly IRS forms, worker's comp, unemployment, Social Security, sales tax, liability insurance and no telling how many licenses you might need. Don't get discouraged!! There are people opening small businesses every day and you can do it if you're willing to make the necessary sacrifices getting established.

My Dad tried the gun shop thing back in the '70's out of frustration with his new boss, the owner's son-in-law. I don't think he ever made a single dime at it. He eventually quit both to start his new company in the trade he knew so well (electrical contracting). I followed him into that over 30 years ago and I can tell you being in business for oneself isn't a piece of cake, either. Sounds like you're frustrated and looking for a change. That's perfectly OK. I would personally look at doing something for yourself in the trade you already know if possible.

You forgot the all important first step: market research. You can't make money if there is no need or want for your product/service.

True enough that small businesses open all the time, but they also close all the time as well. The last town we lived in the old part of town was like a revolving door of small businesses, even in good times. You'd see some well meaning people put their savings into opening a small shop that matched their hobbies and passion, and invariably within a year the "for lease" sign would be back up. Some of them were neat little places, but I really used to wonder sometimes what they pulled in when I'd be the only one in the store, spend a half hour wandering, and come away buying a $3.00 widget... probably didn't even pay for the lights while I was browsing, let alone the dude's lunch.

You need a competitive advantage. What can you offer that the other guy doesn't or can't? Either find yourself a high margin niche, or find a product where you can push some decent volume. (Or the proper mix of the two.)

I hate to sound pessimistic, but that's the reality that a lot of folks don't always face. I'd love to make a living doing/selling what I like, but I gotta pay the bills and it's a big leap to take to hang a shingle and hope that the customers will show up at your door and throw money your way.

You really need to crunch the numbers first. Any financial institution lending startup money will demand it as well.

My dream is to have a gun/archery shop, but its a waste of time. One shop just down the road closed up about a month ago. The other is still hanging on but sales are dwindling. People are just getting out of that mind set of hunt for fun, hunt for food. Its a sad change.

Dad and I have talked about opening up a business after he retires (if he gets too). Power washing houses is a huge thing in the cities. People always want their homes to look the best. Landscaping is another money getter. That was my dream to go to school for that, but the college i wanted to go to didn't have it, so Environmental Science fit the bill. Thats another thing thats booming, environmental fields, oil and gas and the like. I can't give good advice on a paying job, hell i only work durning the summers and when i've got time off from school.

One could get into these fields mentioned above, work for a company for a while and learn the tricks of the trade, and possibly get a sheet of paper in that field. Then get your contractors liscense, and work the rest of your life. Sometimes though, its better to quietly under your breath about how you hate your job and your boss knows nothing, but they give you a pay check so you show up again on monday for the rest of your life and then you hit the age of retirement, open up a gun shop and do what you've always wanted to. Thats how i've got it figured, and i figure on doing just that <_<

Brenden

Get your finances in order before any business venture. It isn't that hard to earn a living "working for the man" it's all about discipline and intelligent choices, the same qualities that you will need as a business owner.

No matter who you work for if you consistently save 10% of your paycheck in some sort of growth account you will set up a good nest egg in a hurry. No matter your source of income good financial habits will help you succeed. Most Americans don't need a better paying job, they need healthier spending/saving habits.

Jimro