Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cooking Oil?

roscoedoh

What's the healthiest cooking oil? Canola? Peanut?

I'm trying to eat healthier and don't have an oven. That leaves me stir frying or pan frying many things and I'd like to find the lightest, healthiest oil if at all possible.

Thanks!

Well, you're delving into the "Feel Good" aspects of health here. It's pretty hard to come up wtih any real studies showing one type of oil is better than others. Most of what is called "good for you" oil is based on "feelings" like, well, this has less trans chemical bonds, so it must be better for you, etc.

That said, "they say" that Canola is one of the healthiest for you. Oilive is probably as good or better, but costs a lot more. We use Canola and olive at home, and use Canola in my bread because it's cheaper and I can't tell the difference between Canola and olive (or any other oil, and I've used them all) in the finished loaf.

Canola, BTW, is actually Rape Seed. My uncle started growing in in Alberta 20+ years ago. He was always real good at spotting trends. He said that they renamed it Canola because Rape Seed sounds bad.

As far as I know, olive oil is commonly cited as the most healthy oil.

But it starts to smoke at relatively low temperatures, so it might not be best for cooking.

Also, I believe heating changes its properties.

As to temperature, peanut oil is very good for high temperature. To my knowledge.

If you're not too skeptical, I believe there's enough truth on this site to make consulting it worthwhile.

http://whfoods.org/

They have many stir-fry recipes, but recommend using a couple of tablespoons of chicken stock in lieu of fat.

I applaud your concern, Jason.

flaco

My wife uses extra virgin (far nicer than Rape Seed) olive oil for all her cooking. I let her do the thinking and I do the eating.

Brad

Guys, I'd let her do the cooking, but the only her around here so far is the dog and although she's a good cook, she really prefers grilled to fried. :P

Seriously though, extra virgin olive oil is better than canola? I thought canola was the healthiest thing going at the moment?

Ok gents, here is the lowdown on cooking oils.

All plant oils are at least mono-unsaturated, meaning that they have a carbon to carbon double bond somewhere in the chain. Of all the commonly available plant based cooking oils olive oil and canola (which is rapeseed) oils are the two that I stock in my kitchen.

Olive oil is a "heart healthy" oil that you can use for everything from salad dressings to marinades or any other "low heat" applications (I like to shake quartered potatoes in olive oil and a little salt before roasting in the oven). Olive oil is a poor choice for frying or stir frying because it has a pretty low smoke point, and burnt tasting food is no good.

Canola (rapeseed) oil has a very light flavor, very high smoke point, and it is my go too oil for stir frying. I don't pan fry any food because no matter how "healthy" an oil is it is still just fat and there are a lot of benefits to keeping your fat intake moderate.

If you want to deep fry or pan fry foods routinely then consider peanut oil (once again a light taste and high smoke point) or Avocado oil (if you can find it) or plain old corn oil or sunflower oil.

The cooking fats that you want to avoid are butter, shortening, and bacon grease. Animal fats (butter/lard/bacon grease) are all saturated fats which don't do your body any favors. Trans fats are unsaturated fats that your body treats as saturated fats (based on their chemical geometry). Hydrogenated vegetable oils (vegetable shortening) are unsaturated fats that have had the carbon to carbon double bond reduced to a single bond by adding two hydrogen atoms to the lipid molecule.

Bottom line, plant oils good. Canola, olive, corn, sunflower, peanut, etc.

Animal oils and chemically altered oils bad. Bacon grease, lard, butter, margarine, trans fats, hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Hope this helps.

Jimro