Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Century Back-log

ken98k

I've always had good luck with Century Arms until this go-round.

One of the February email specials was 2 1908's for $260 so I ordered a couple. That was the first week of February, and I still have not got them. When I called to check on the order the salesman said the were back-logged due to customers buying ammo by the pallet. Sounds a little fishy to me.

They could just be short-handed.

They may have had to let a couple people go or may have a few out with the flu bug. You never can tell with Century.

They could just be short-handed.

They may have had to let a couple people go or may have a few out with the flu bug. You never can tell with Century.

I had problems with Century when I had an FFL back in the 80's. It was prior to email and they ran their merchandise in Shotgun News ads before they had the goods in their hands. Century's excuse was they had to submit their add to SGN apx 60 days before it was published. They always blamed the delays on US Custom's or BATF inspections. When I told Century I ran ads that were published in less than 30 days it was "talk to Shotgun News".

One of Century's competitors claimed, Century and others would run ads on goods that were still at sea. Occasionally what they published wasn't exactly what they got or shipped to the buyer. Century's answer was always "what do you expect for XX dollars".

Had the same problems with Sarco and another outfit named Southeastern. Sarco was good at canceling orders, returning the payment then advertised the goods at a higher price at a later time. Southeastern was shut down by the New Jersey Attorney Generals Office and all I got was from them was a bankruptcy notice. At least in my dealings the only reliable sellers of mil-surp rifles in the 80's were Springfield Sporters and Navy Arms.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the 2 1908s on Friday. I wasn’t really expecting them to be in great condition but I was a little disappointed that both barrels were pretty pitted under the wood. I really wanted a good 29” 7mm barrel. One will be okay for shooter as is but using it on a sporter is out. The other is junk, a 7mm brush will go through with little to no resistance.

The actions are surprisingly, in good condition, except for the electro-pencil ser# above the original (courtesy of Century) and a very heavily stamped # on the right side of the ring. One is a DWM Berlin and the other is DWM Oberndorf, AN. First one of those I’ve seen.