Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Dog Had Surgery For Swallowing Rocks!

FC

Our 6 month old Silky Terrier loves vegetation, and bringing us bolts, nuts, and rocks.

This morning the poor little bugger was looking really bad. When I grabbed his sides he cried. I guessed intestinal obstruction- maybe wood, which he chews on, or maybe a rock, and I was right. He had one rock part-way through his intestines, and one big rock in his stomach, blocking his small intestine. So off to a very expensive surgery! We're going to hire Bark Busters to help with training.

Our friends had a lab that swallowed blankets. The first time they didn't know what it was, and were everyone in the surgery room was astounded when the vet started pulling the blanket out... like a magican pulling linked scarves out of a hat.

The second time they decided they'd better try even harder to keep blankets out of reach of the knucklehead.

The third time the dog sealed his own fate...

A few years back, I had a dog that swallowed parts of a deer that I had shot. I just figured he had some hair matted up inside of him. Come to find out, he had swallowed a small sharp piece of bone that had sliced open his stomach and small intestine. He didn't make it through surgery. Hated to see that old dog go, he was my buddy for the first 17 years of my life. Partaly deaf, and couldn't see well, but followed me everywhere i went and did everything I ask of him and more.

Brenden

One of my labs ate about 2 big handfulss of gravel one time. we had cooked a hog and the grease drained on the rocks. fortunately he passed all of them, but he did lived at the vet for a week eating McDonalds cheese burgers till he passed them all. We had a great vet and the cheese burgers were all he would eat.

I have a gas grill, so I wonder if that could have happened to our dog? Thanks for telling me about it.

He got home today, and he's sure happy. I have the rock; it's not as big as I thought, but big enough to cause trouble.

Our Brittany has eaten or chewed just about everything imaginable. Ate the heads off a book of matches, chewed through Bic lighters, earings, batteries...all kinds of odds and ends. The worst was when I found a splintered up CD. The next day there were pretty long slivers of silver and blue plastic in her poop. The pieces must have turned just right because that would have done her in. I think Brittany's were originally bred with some goat in them!

I have a gas grill, so I wonder if that could have happened to our dog? Thanks for telling me about it.

He got home today, and he's sure happy. I have the rock; it's not as big as I thought, but big enough to cause trouble.

I want to see pictures with some scale!

We have a dachschund that I'm convinced would eat himself to death if we provided the opened bag of dog food. He eats just about anything on the floor - the only thing he won't seem to eat is citrus peel.

It's like a treasure hunt everytime he curves his back - balloons, ribbon, doorstop tips, hershey's kiss wrappers (presumablly full at one point), and other non-recognizable crap (no pun intended).

The little bugger scooped up a lava rock in his mouth last night when I took him out to pee. I stuck my fingers in his mouth and pulled it out twice.

This is starting to get to be a good thread. No wonder dogs have big litters!

Another thing that worked for us is sour apple. They sell it in a spray. Not quite sure how you would do an island, but maybe around the house. It stopped our Brittany from tearing apart our live Christmas trees.

When I'm done barbecuing I have to remove the drip pan. My Rottie will somehow get it off and lick it clean.

project-3.jpg