Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7x57 Mauser

Hey guys, Do any of you have any loads or load data for 7x57 using the Sierra 175 gr. game king bullet. I am looking for data using IMR 4007SS powder.I also have IMR 4064, AA3100. I need to update my reloading manuals, they are getting out dated.

Thanks

Bob

Can't tell you the exact load, been to many years. When friends and I many years ago crony-ed 7X57 and 7.65 Argie. IMR 4350, IMR 3031 and Winchester 748 were the best. We were looking to duplicate military ballistics, shooting similar weight bullets as the military loading. Our goal was to have our loads follow the issue sights at long ranges. We used to set up man sized metal dongs as much as 400 yards away. Best I recall we kept the 7X57 loads on the mild side as we were shooting Spanish 93 and 95's. If you're shooting 7X57 in 98 or modern action you could likely push it well beyond the military loadings.

Check here for starting data. http://www.imrpowder.com/#

Thanks AZ. The rifle that I'm loading for is a Venezuelan FN 24/30 Carbine with a 17.63" barrel. This being a 98 action I could use full power loads, but with the short barrel the muzzle blast is horendous. What powders would best? Would a faster powder be better? Opinions?

Bob

Thanks AZ. The rifle that I'm loading for is a Venezuelan FN 24/30 Carbine with a 17.63" barrel. This being a 98 action I could use full power loads, but with the short barrel the muzzle blast is horendous. What powders would best? Would a faster powder be better? Opinions?

Bob

Looking through my Sierra loading book, they only go up to the 168 matchking. Seems to me that something with an equal or slightly slower burn rate than Re-15 or IMR 4064 is prefered for the 130 grainers and below. Beyond that, up to the 168, they recommend IMR 4350 for almost all their loadings, hunting and accuracy. I can't see why Sierra wouldn't list the 175 in their book, military loadings were 2300 FPS with a 173 roundnose. Surely the 175 would expand and preform at those velocities, given shots wern't taken at long range and on something as tough as steel?

Brenden

Thanks Brendon. What Sierra load book do you have? My 3rd edition Sierra book (1989) uses loads tested in a model 95 Mauser with a 29" barrel. My Lyman 47th edition (1997) also use a Mauser 95 with a 29" barrel. Does anyone have any data using the Model 98 as the test rifle? I know liability issues.

Bob

Re 175 gr. jacketed on page 362.

The five highest velocity loads (ranging from 2,400 to 2,500 f/s) and their pressure in Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition:

VEC TU5000 48,200 CIP

A-XMR-4350 45,000 CUP

A-XMR-3100 38,400 CUP

ACCUR 2700 44,500 CUP

WIN 760 44,500 CUP

This powder looks good and it's a powder that's in your inventory. It's from the Lee Shooter program. Slow powder and low pressures, just what you need with that long bullet.

HDY 175 SP

----------------------start-------Vel---------MAX-------Vel--------CUP------COL

Accurate-3100--- 45.0gr--- 2149fps----50.0gr--- 2442fps---38,400---3.040---Compressed load

Spiris

This is probably the same info that you have. It's Accurate's own data that Lee Shooter has in it's data base.

I'm pretty sure you've seen the www.hodgdon.com site too. Nothing available for the 175gr bullet and 4007 powder that I can find. Maybe an email to Hodgdon for info will do.

IMO, the AA3100 looks good, but will it shoot good in your short barrel?

I doubt that IMR4064 will give you top performance with that heavier bullet, but you never know until you try. It is a pretty versatile powder.

It will be nearly impossible to get away from the muzzle blast with anything that gives you good velocities. But you knew that. :)

Accurate reload info.

7x57mm MAUSER

Gun DOUGLAS---------- Max Length 2.235 "

Barrel Length 24 "------ Trim Length 2.215 "

Primer CCI 200--------- OAL Max 3.065 "

Case WW---------------- OAL Min 2.940 "

Spiris

Thanks, again Spiris. I think that the only way to get away from the muzzle blast problem is to go to reduced loads with cast bullets. Lots of people like cast bullets but not me. I think I'll try the AA3100 at the starting load of 45 grians. Thank you all for your input. All comments are welcome.

Bob

I know this is not pertinent, but it does highlight the many ways to enjoy this hobby. My current 7X57 is a 1 in 10 twist Pac Nor on a VZ24 action. It wears a 4X leupold and rides in a High Tech stock. It will handle bullets of 150 or less quite well with good velocity out of its 24" short throated barrel. It is pretty much my favorite deer rilfe.

My prior 7X57 was a Ruger #1. It would only shoot the 175's accurately, and fussing with it is what eventually led to home gunsmithing.

The 7X57's have accounted for many a deer for me, and I think everyone should be blessed with one or a dozen. LL

With all the south American countries that used 7x57, I wounder why I never see any surplus 7x57 ammo?

It was all over Shotgun News in the 70's and early 80's. My guess is the supply dried up many years ago. Best I recall the 7X57 myself and friends had was usually in pretty rough shape. I can recall spending a night wiping a bunch down with a WD-40 soaked rag to remove the green corrosion. We probably paid somewhere around 30-35 per thousand and complained about the price!!

I have made 7X57 from reformed 30/06 blanks. Not having a 7X57, I used a 8X57 trim die to get it started and push the shoulder down. I cut the excess off with a scroll saw and gave it it's final trim after running it through a 7MM re-sizing die. Supposed to ream the inside of the neck and anneal the shoulder. I never did and never had any problems.