Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Oal Question From Newbie

Bob58

I'm fairly new to handloading and have a simple question about the above referenced bullets, powder and OAL of a 308 Win handload. I reference Lee's Reloading Manual and note the max OAL as 2.81 and for the powder above a min AOL of 2.745. Fine, I can reload according to instructions, which I understand to be highly recommended. One problem. The min OAL does not seat the bullet to the cannelure. Should I seat to the cannelure and be below min AOL (lots of freebore), or seat to min AOL and ignore the cannelure?

Bob. I don't shoot or load .308, but heres my logic. I assume you are thinking about volume of case changing with bullet depth and perhaps pressure variations resulting from this. I personally ignore cannelures except in magnum handguns where a tight crimp is needed to ignite some slow powders like H-110 or WW-296. With rifles I use a Stoney Point gage set and a dial caliper. I seat the bullets to .015"-.020" from the lands max. (Some later Rugers have so much freebore, if you try to hit the lands, it won't fit in the magazine!) If I feel a crimp is called for I use the lee factory crimp die.

Hope this helps.