Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Range Report 50 Cal S&w, 454 Casual, 380 + More

AzRednek

Had a great time today. AZ G&F puts on an annual Sportsman's Expo at the shooting range. Glock, Ruger, Smith and Wesson had booths set up and for a few bucks to cover the cost of ammo got to shoot anything they had along. On top of the shooting booths there was plenty of demonstrations. Cowboy Action Shooting, Silhouettes, Gatling Gun and the topper. Dillon was there with a Mini-Gun mounted in a Suburban.

Went with my son, his wife and grand kids. While my daughter-in-law and kids went to watch Cowboy Action Shooting on horseback my son and I stood in line to shoot the S&W 50 cal. The 50 cal is definitely to much gun for me but the recoil wasn't as bad as I expected. The 50 cal I shot had an 8 inch barrel with a muzzle brake. As ugly as the muzzle brake is, it does reduce the felt recoil.

After I left the S&W booth I went to Ruger and shot a 4 inch barreled 454 Casual. The 454's recoil felt as hard as the 50. I paid for 6 shots through the Ruger but after two rounds of 454 I asked them to replace the remainder with 45 Colt. After 5 rounds of 50 cal and two rounds of 454 I was flinching terribly.

I was really disappointed with Ruger's new 380. The 380 is double action only and the trigger pull is way to long and hard. It is a nice lightweight, very compact carry gun but scoring center mass at more than 10-15 yards with the horrible trigger pull would require plenty of practice. The 380 doesn't have a slide stop and the slide does not stay open on the last shot. It is strictly a close range belly gun.

I was finally burned out waiting in long lines and didn't get to shoot any Glocks or the 375 and 416 Ruger rifles. I decided to rest in the stands while watching the horseback CAS shooting. The CAS shooters didn't shoot live ammo but used blanks to pop balloons. It might sound simple but it can't be to easy firing a single action revolver on a running horse. The competitors had to shoot out 6 balloons, holster their gun, grab another, shoot out 6 more and try to get the best time.

The CAS shooter also had booths set up for kids to shoot 22's and for adults they got to shoot very mild 45 Colt loads or a short, double barreled 12 gauge. I shot a Marlin 45 rifle and I was really impressed with the smoothness and solid feeling of the lever action. Like a night and day comparison to my lever action Rossi 45. The CAS shooter were really good and very patient with my grand kids shooting 22's.

Next year I'll arrive earlier before the long lines gather at the shooting booths. Although I didn't get to shoot everything I wanted. Just seeing live demos of a 45/70 Gatling Gun and Dillon's 7.62 Mini-Gun made the trip worthwhile.

I forgot to bring a camera. Here is a picture of a few souvenirs I brought home with me. 50 S&W, 454 Casual and 45 Colt brass I shot.

50-brass.gif

Hello Az.

Looks like you had a good time, would you do me a favor?

If you re-post those pictures, put in a 9mm or .45 for scale?

I enjoy going to the range, and when fellas I know are there, exchange guns, it is a blast to shoot something new.

As far as big gunshows...we dont have any around me.

Take care

karl

Thanks Az.

Boy, I don't think that I would want to fire the pistol more than once unless a T-Rex was chasing me.

Some of those cases look like the bullets were T-Rex size!!!!

karl

At least I can claim to have shot the 50 cal Howitzer. I surely wouldn't want to shell out a grand for one and be afraid to shoot it. Next year I want to try the 460 S&W and at 2 bux a shot for the 50 I I will pass. The 50 would make a ferocious number for a lever action rifle but it is just to much gun in a handgun for me.