Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Reloading Component Availability

AzRednek

My favorite local dealer actually had some powder and primers on the shelf. He originally had a 2K total limit on primers and yesterday he lowered it to one. Same with powder, starting out at a two cannister limit and yesterday down to one. There were many holes in the powder stock. I wanted Winchester 748 or IMR 3031 and they didn't have either. I settled for a bottle of Varget. For handgun I wanted Bullseye and 2400. They didn't have either so I wound up with Unique. I had to send my ol'lady in later. They really stuck to their guns and wouldn't budge as far as going over the limit. My ol'lady was quizzed "wasn't your husband in earlier".

They had a fairly good supply of brass. Unfortunately the only brass they are receiving are the most common items. Oddball brass and slow sellers like 303 Brit, 300 Savage or 45 Auto Rim have not been produced by the factories for over a year. I was told the distributors are no longer taking back orders on slower selling brass and it might be a year or longer before anything other than the fast selling items are produced.

The biggies, Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse didn't have Jack except for shotshell primers and wads. Neither place would give me a straight answer about what was available or future supplies.

The gun shop's employee told me they have to deal with customers that try and buy up all the primers they have on hand. The owner has refused several offers at inflated prices for his entire primer stock. I can see why after checking Gunbroker's price on primers. There are many desperate buyers out there and sellers have been getting 60-100 per K plus the Haz-Mat fees for primers. Small rifle primers seem to be fetching the most money.

Natchez has primers. I paid $33 per 1000 delivered. I bought 5000 to dilute the hazmat fee. I have had locals begging me for them, so getting rid of them will be no problem.

Wideners has a bunch of powder. I bought an 8lb keg of 4350 for $115 and an 8lb keg of 3100 for $135. With hazmat, it averaged $18 per pound. I'll probably buy 8lbs of 4895 or Accurate equivalent if I can find someone else to order with me to dilute the hazmat. I did not have the extra cash for the 4895 when I bought the other powders. LL

I also recently bought a large lot of new in the 50 round bag 30/06 Winchester brass. I am pretty busy the next week or so, but I am going to try selling about 600 pieces of it around the end of the month. I bought more than I could afford, but it was the only way I could keep the price per piece down. I have 6 30/06's and I usually keep the brass separated. I should be able to sell it pretty reasonably, even if I have to ship it. LL