Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Did I Buy

swamprat

Your guess is as good as mine!! Looks like it has some potential if you have a bolt assembly. What kind of mag floor plate does it have?

I don't know have not recieved gun yet. I just thought the sites were worth the price. I hope so anyway. When it does get here I'll try to post some better pics. I was hoping for an I.D. before it got here so I would know what bolt to look out for.

Swamprat

Looks like a 98 to me. Whether it is standard or intermediate length will have to be determined upon arrival.

I bet it cleans up nicely.

Fixing to show my stupity! Is a K98K a long or short bolt?

Swamprat

Mauser receivers, excepting anti-tank rifles, come in four flavors, magnum, standard, intermediate and kurz or short. All miliatary receivers, again excepting anti-tank rifles, where in standard or intermediate length. K98ks are standard length receivers.

Vlad

Mauser receivers, excepting anti-tank rifles, come in four flavors, magnum, standard, intermediate and kurz or short. All miliatary receivers, again excepting anti-tank rifles, where in standard or intermediate length. K98ks are standard length receivers.

Vlad

Thanks Vlad I think I may have a bolt for it.

Swwamprat

Yup, looks like a sporterized k98 to me.

Clean it up and add a bolt and you'll have shooter at an excellent price.

Congratulations. You sure lucked out on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the rifle friday. It looked like a dirty step child. It is a k98 and the bolt I had did fit. Had a small problem with dirt (see help in this forum) Got everything cleaned up and the rifle looks great. I will try to post some pics later. The rifle has super rifling, Lyman peep and ramp front sight with regular ramp rear sight. It is a military barrel that someone spent a lot time or money having the barrel dove tailed for the sights. Stock is a reworked orginal that has a very faint eagle crest near the butt with the date of 1937 below it. It has more markings below that, that I have not been able to figure out yet. It is 8mm I think but will be taking it to gunsmith to be sure and to have head space checked. Range report will follow .

Swamprat

That's a pretty sweet old Mauser swamprat, nice find.

Spiris

Thank's! It was a diamond in the rough that turned out to be not quite that rough! Cleaned up real good. Going to the doctors (gunsmith) next week for headspace check. Then it's to the range for an accuracy test. I just wish this old girl could tell of the dear or elk count it had in it's past life. Or being Nazi marked it's war history. Damn if these old Mauser's could just talk.

Swamprat