Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M-16A3

montea6b

Well I hadn't either until today when I had the chance to shoot one. It is an M-16A2 upper receiver mated with an M-16A1 lower. Evidently the Navy is the only service to call them that.

They're basically cobbled together with various parts from old rifles turned in by the USMC and Army. Most are capable of full auto like the A1, but the armorers tell me that it's a mixed bag and some have the three round burst sear.

Approaching the end of the fiscal year and had some ammo to burn. It sure was fun, although we had to keep the bursts to 3-5 rounds to keep the fire from climbing into the overhead baffles at the range.

If the Army has them I've never heard of them.

quote=montea6b,Sep 22 2005, 10:45 PM]

Well I hadn't either until today when I had the chance to shoot one. It is an M-16A2 upper receiver mated with an M-16A1 lower. Evidently the Navy is the only service to call them that.

They're basically cobbled together with various parts from old rifles turned in by the USMC and Army. Most are capable of full auto like the A1, but the armorers tell me that it's a mixed bag and some have the three round burst sear.

Approaching the end of the fiscal year and had some ammo to burn. It sure was fun, although we had to keep the bursts to 3-5 rounds to keep the fire from climbing into the overhead baffles at the range.

4176[/snapback]

The first M-16s the Corps used back in the late 60's was the "M-16E1"

The Army and the AVN had the M-16 A1's.

It had a three prong flash hider and would fire full or semiauto.

The only thing I did not like about them was that elevation was set by using a round to turn the front sight post.

We set it for about 200 meters "held under or over"

Karl

The A1 lower can be converted to the A2 lower, and an A2 lower can be made full auto by removing a spring.

The A2 upper has a heavier barrel than the A1, and a much better rear sight, the elevation knob is in 1/2 MOA clicks. Set it to 300, pretty much everything is hold under, and dial it in for ranges beyond that.

Jimro