Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Homemade Tools

Reverend Recoil

Attached is a pic of some of the tools I have made for gun work. I have about two dozen more in boxes and drawers. They are screwdrivers, wood carving and scraping tools. Most were made from engine valve spring wire by heating with a propane torch and forging to shape. The center punch was made from a valve stem. The pin vise was assembled from a cheap 1/4" drill chuck. Most of the handles are of stained white oak and 3/4" copper tubing. They are not hard to make and are limited only by your imagination. If anyone is interested I can post pictures of some of the others. I would like to see some of yours.

Reverend Recoil

post-45-1240797281_thumb.jpg

Attached is a pic of some of the tools I have made for gun work. I have about two dozen more in boxes and drawers. They are screwdrivers, wood carving and scraping tools. Most were made from engine valve spring wire by heating with a propane torch and forging to shape. The center punch was made from a valve stem. The pin vise was assembled from a cheap 1/4" drill chuck. Most of the handles are of stained white oak and 3/4" copper tubing. They are not hard to make and are limited only by your imagination. If anyone is interested I can post pictures of some of the others. I would like to see some of yours.

Reverend Recoil

post-45-1240797281_thumb.jpg

Impressive. I wish I had that talent. Most all of mine come from Home Depot.

The absolute best inletting I ever saw was by a guy who came here from Hungary when Germany disarmed them back in the day. He scorned "glass bedding" as a mistake repair. Every spot was done with prussian blue and it looked "bedded" when done. His tools? All hand made. Neet stuff, RR. May try it sometime.