Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sporterizing An All #'s Matching K98

brian923

hey guys, i picked up an all numbers macthing k98 mauser.

mauserkar98k001.jpg

was wanting to know if i drilled and tapped the reciever for a scope, and did a little stock work , or replaced the stock and kept the origonal well, origonal, if it would dramatically reduce the value of the rifle? (specifically the reciver) the rifle is in good condition, but i would like to add a scope for hunting puroses. i would like to get one of those side mount scope that dont require the alteration of the reciver, but they are really pricey. chepest i can find is around 200 bucks, and that need s a 27mm scope? and the zf scopes and mounts are like 500.00$!! that would be awsome, but i just cant swing that.

if you guys might now where to get a side mount for cheaper, or have on youd like to get ride of, please let me know, as well as to what you think about the origonal question. thanks guys, brian.

There are inexpensive "scout" mounts available that do no require any permanent changes to the rifle.

Drilling and tapping the receiver will definately affect the collector value.

not sure if it a mitchell or not. the numbers on it are "17XX" its a really nice looking rifle. the only part that dosent match is the rear site. other than that, the stock, bolt, barrel, safty lever, and rear bolt shroud are all marked the same. even the bottom plate. i had to put a brass pin through the stock, right under the bolt handle. (in the closed position) it was craking. but this has seemed to stop the crack. you can kinda see it right in front of the bolt knob in the picture.

Putting a scope on an all-matching K98 is the fastest way I know to turn a $600 rifle into a $200 rifle. Mausers are fun to sporterize, but I would not do it with that one. Why not order an action from Sarco or a barreled action from R-guns and start with that?

Clemson

Sometime I think surplus should and should not be chop.up. This is one of the time I am saying something. Don't, if you are looking for a project I have a turk action that been part sporterized and a 260 Rem barrel to trade if you are interested. Action been drilled and tapped with scope mounts, action true and lip removed. I think it has a bold trigger with swing safety. I have to check on the trigger and safety. Turn down bolt handle.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

This gun would more likely be a 1000 dollar gun, as matching rifles are extremely difficult to find. Yes, any modifications would dramatically reduce the value to a 200 dollar gun. Its never a smart idea to do anything more than oil the gun. Any sanding, hacking, drilling and tapping or rechambering is a quick way to ruin the gun and the value. Just trade it for a russian capture and do what ever you want to the russian capture, trust me, alot of people would be happy to trade.

Sometime I think surplus should and should not be chop.up. This is one of the time I am saying something. Don't, if you are looking for a project I have a turk action that been part sporterized and a 260 Rem barrel to trade if you are interested. Action been drilled and tapped with scope mounts, action true and lip removed. I think it has a bold trigger with swing safety. I have to check on the trigger and safety. Turn down bolt handle.

Rob

Semi- Is your turk a M-1903? If so, I have an excellent cond all matching 96 Swede, except for the stock, which is very nice full fiddleback, but is a non-match number. I bought it 20+ years ago to sporterize, but it is so crisp that I could never bring myself to touch it. Now I am glad that I didn't. If you have any interest, maybe we could work something out.

Ken

In 1971 I took a very nice bring back mauser in to have sporterized. I was 19. The gunsmith was aghast about the project, but I did it anyway. I still have that rifle. It has been a 338 Win Mag for a long time now, and I'd have a heck of a time putting a value on all the good times I've had with it. Had it stayed as it was when I got it, I doubt that I'd have used it much. As it is now, it has taken a number of elk and one moose. LL

In 1971, it wasnt a big sin to sporterize all matching mausers. Nowadays, it would be a very bad idea to sporterize any matching or bringback mauser. I tend to be on the purist side of collecting military guns, although I would like to sporterize a gun someday, but I know that back in the day, that a military gun is all alot of folks had, and many needed them to survive, so why not make it a little more handy to survive with. But there are limits in my opinion. Nowadays, sporterizing a bringback or a matching mauser would be a really bad idea, and it would be dumb to do it. But it happens.

In 1971 I took a very nice bring back mauser in to have sporterized. I was 19. The gunsmith was aghast about the project, but I did it anyway. I still have that rifle. It has been a 338 Win Mag for a long time now, and I'd have a heck of a time putting a value on all the good times I've had with it. Had it stayed as it was when I got it, I doubt that I'd have used it much. As it is now, it has taken a number of elk and one moose. LL

Don't you feel ashamed for destroying the collector value? ;)

I am ashamed to show my face in public. LL

Well I'm going to join you as so as I finish my current project.

My next is an all matching Oberndorf kar98k that is going to become a .375 Ruger.

Guys. 40 years ago no one cared a thing about sporterizing ANY 98. There were barrels full of them everywhere and sold for $25-40 a piece. What good were they? Collectors items were Colts and S&Ws and Winchesters. Collect a Mauser??? Please!

I still have an all matching bring back I made into a 7mm R Mag.

Just think, if we hadn't whacked them all up they'd still be everywhere and not worth anything. We made your savers into big time collectibles. Where's our thanks? ;)

Brad

Just think, if we hadn't whacked them all up they'd still be everywhere and not worth anything. We made your savers into big time collectibles. Where's our thanks? ;)

Brad

That's what I'm always saying.

Some of my favorite rifles were once all matching. ;)

• 1 month later...
hey guys, i picked up an all numbers macthing k98 mauser.

mauserkar98k001.jpg

was wanting to know if i drilled and tapped the reciever for a scope, and did a little stock work , or replaced the stock and kept the origonal well, origonal, if it would dramatically reduce the value of the rifle? (specifically the reciver) the rifle is in good condition, but i would like to add a scope for hunting puroses. i would like to get one of those side mount scope that dont require the alteration of the reciver, but they are really pricey. chepest i can find is around 200 bucks, and that need s a 27mm scope? and the zf scopes and mounts are like 500.00$!! that would be awsome, but i just cant swing that.

if you guys might now where to get a side mount for cheaper, or have on youd like to get ride of, please let me know, as well as to what you think about the origonal question. thanks guys, brian.

The gun has been altered beyond repair, I say tear it up and make a jewel out of it.

how can i tell if the numbers on the rifle have been piened, and remakred? is there any way?

i took it out today, and shot a 1" group at 75 yards with it. i dont thinki can alter it. i guess ill have to go and buy another rifle. darn ;)