Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sks Problem

machinist1

I've never had that problem, or any other problem actually, with an SKS. However, just throwing out ideas, I'd guess it was one of four things: Either the spring that pushes the mag release is weak, the mag release itself is not shaped properly or has bent, or the little lip on the bottom of the mag well flapper thing is bent/defective. Can you take a closeup pic of this area? Might also be that the pivot part at the front is loose and is allowing the mag to move so that it releases. The spring, when you pull it towards the rear, is fairly stout. I don't have a guage, but I'd guess 5 lbs or so.

Take the rifle and grab the magazine with one hand and try to move it fore/aft and see if it unlatches itself. That would probably be a bad pivot point.

Check the rails on the side of the mag release.

They may be rough and preventing the catch from engaging fully.

If they are, remove the pin, sand or file the groves on the release and the rails smooth and try again.

karl

Thanks for the input guys. I have'nt had a chance to look at it yet. I went back to work after a shoulder surgery and have been busy. I am training on a CNC lathe after being a machinist for over thirty years. The damn thing is making me look bad. I have'nt run this much scrap in years!

Bob