Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Jan 2009 Pig Hunt

This past january my brother, Brent and I took my son Chris on a wild pig hunt in Jena, Louisiana. Remember the Jena Six? We shot the Jena Three and drank a Jena Six. It was fun.

Brent and Chris each used their DCM 30-06 M1 rifles loaded with Hornady 165 gr. SX bullets. I used a Ruger No.1 cal. 9.3X74R loaded with Prvi Partison 286 gr. bullets. The 9.3X74R is a real kicker and worse on the hogs. Chris and I both dropped our pigs with one shot - we practiced well before this hunt. Brent's pig died hard. These wild hogs are tough. It ran off with a 6” hole in its shoulder with one lung hanging out. Brent made a good shot but his pig kept on tick'n. It was still alive the next morning. He finally got it with a head shot after chasing it through 1/4 mile of swamps.

We now have 200 lbs of good pork. 100 lbs was processed into smoked and green onion sausage. The rest is ribs, tender loin and shoulder roasts. Their hides could have made a number of footballs. Maybe one of these pigs will make it to the Super Bowl next year.

Check out the pictures. I shot the spotted sow, Chris shot the red boar, and Brent got the black sow.

Uh ba-dee ba-dee ba-dee. That's all folks!

post-45-1241212133_thumb.jpg

post-45-1241212145_thumb.jpg

post-45-1241212160_thumb.jpg

post-45-1241212167_thumb.jpg