Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Brush Replacement In Dewalt Cordless

littlecanoe

I have a 14.4 volt Dewalt, DW983 cordless drill. The Brushes are smoking and I need to replace them.

I've found replacements to order on the net but wanted to make sure of how to put them in. I'm not sure how

to go about it from looking at the motor.

Any ideas?

If more info is needed I might be able to post a pic of that end of the motor.

Thanks,

lc

littlecanoe, sorry that your having problems. As you take it apart, check the commutator where the brushes run for visible grooves from the old brushes. If it's ok, then shine up the commutator with fine scotchbrite or sandpaper. Spray some contact cleaner to clean any debris from sanding. There is a method for checking the commutator for shorts but let's assume that it's ok.

The brushes sometimes take patience to install so look them over and see if the brush cages have little pin holes so that you can access them from the exterior of the cordless plastic case body.

Essentially you have to push the brush and spring down into the brush case and secure it into position using something like sewing needles so after reassembling you just pull the pins holding the brushes from the outside, so they drop into place against the commutator and you should be ready to go if that's all that's wrong.

I hope that I made it clear enough to follow. This information might be available from the unit's website in a more understandable way with pictures.

Spiris

Thanks fella's.

The brushes don't have an external access.

Here is a link to the schematic. Part #22 on the drawing is my part. The motor is held in place by tabs. I can't really tell if the

Brush unit slides into place or if some tab holds it down.

Dewalt Schematic

It looks like you'll have to split the case and access the motor/spindle ass'y and replace the brushes, but do look over the spindle where the brushes ride, for wear. It would be a shame to get it back together and still have a problem. Be sure it wasn't the outer windings of the motor that was smoking.

Spiris