Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Canadian question for Gothmog

Horsefly

Goth,what ever happened with all the fussing over French being the official language of Canada?Was it just a Quebec thing?I can't remember where you live,but know you'd be the one to ask.I see the same thing coming up here in Texas.You can see it coming when the street signs are in spanish.Jerry

French has never been, and will likely never be THE official language of Canada ... it is currently one of the 2 official languages, but in reality is only used to any great extent in the Province of Quebec.

Quebecers, especially French speaking, are a slowly dwindly proportion of our population, hence that Province's move to prop up use of French through legislation. As you can see, the comparison with the Spanish issue is not quite correct.

We built a truck for a company in or around Quebec,and the owner sent his son to watch the truck being built from scratch,and he hung around with me for about a week while I tested his truck.He was just a kid of maybe 20,and knew so little English,I'd say he couldn't speak it.I think maybe it wasn't the English he didn't understand,but maybe our Texican lingo.I just figured a person that young and so French speaking,that French was growing and spreading.A Mexican on a locale talk show was raising hell about 3rd generation of wetback kids starting a new form of Spanish,mixing Spanish and English up,and the newest arriviving wets can't understand them.He predicts in 10 years the Mexican kids won't be able to speak true Spanish.Boo-hoo.Goth,do you live in the good hunting part of Canada? Jerry

English and French are the official languages, however, go to Vancouver BC and Chinese and Punjabi are widely spoken and recognized when taking a Driver's license examination! Canada has a problem of imposing law and then the people resent it, for example, we are a Metric country yet if you take a BC ferry (a Gov't corporation) your vehicle is measured in feet. French was legislated upon us, the requirement in BC secondary schools was to have a second language, so people opted for German, Spanish, Punjabi, Russian, Chinese.. in other words passive resistance by complying but not the way the Gov't desires. Gun control is a Federally mandated statute, yet 7 of the 10 provinces and 2 territories will not enforce the law! Any law to be effective has to be widely accepted as a generally good idea, Canada has an uncanny knack of failing in this principle.