Military Firearm Restoration Corner

SKS

TLynn

Sailormilan2

(6/9/05 8:26)

Reply SKS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several companies are running specials on SKSs. Which ones should one get?? I have been looking at unissued Yugoslavian.

Stephanovich

(6/9/05 21:19)

Reply Re: SKS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you are in California, I recommend the IO unissued Yugo 59/66 with the CA modification (sleeve welded over the grenade launcher), I'm assuming you have a C&R FFL ?

I've purchased two unissued Yugos from IO with the CA modification, they were truely in 'unissued' condition. Both are great shooters. I ordered both with my C&R via internet, took a week for delivery by Fed Ex, ymmv. SKS's are a lot of fun, the term 'cheap thrills' comes to mind, based on purchase price and cost of ammo. Good luck!!

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/13/05 21:10)

I just got my first Yugo sks, with the grenade launcher. I live in the free state of Texas, and don't have to kiss the fundillo of those weirdos in California.

I must say, it is a nice rifle. I have a bunch of the Russian and Chinese sks, but that grenade launcher makes for a cool looking rifle. My only complaint is the sight adjustment.

I am a mauser fellow, and need to know how to move that front sight down a bit and to the side. It shoots low and left.

I guess I could grind some off the post front sight, but isn't there a way to move it? I believe there is a tool somewhere in my sks stuff that does this. And how do you drift it sideways?

You can see that I am a real amateur with the sks system.

fritz

"It seems like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

Edited by: fritz at: 6/13/05 21:12

Stephanovich

(6/13/05 21:14)

For sight adjustment, go to this link:www.surplusrifle.com/sks/sights/hs.asp

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/13/05 22:57)

Thanks, that's what I needed.

fritz

"It seems like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

TwistJg26

(6/15/05 23:57)

Re: SKS

Get the grenades, Fritz, grenades. My only SKS is the Yugo and I think the GL looks cool. But damn, me Mausers shoot so much more accurately. I need that tool as well.

grenade link

fartingchicken

Head Grumpy Old Man

(6/26/05 8:49)

ezSupporter

I shot my Yugo unissued SKS yesterday, and I highly recommend it. It is a wonderful rifle. Shoots nicely with the Bear ammo. Worth every penney I paid for it. I let my brother and 12 y/o daughter shoot it, and they both loved it. Light recoil, and devestating power with hollow points on a helium can. Ripped big old holes on exit. I wish it held more than ten rounds. Disassembly and reassembly were not much fun, but the instructions I got from surplus rifles and Greg were very helpful. I had not noticed that I needed to push up that tab behind the trigger guard. Buy the best Yugo you can afford. I got mine from Aim. I don't like their Swiss rifles anymore, but I do like the SKS they sent.

I made my own front sight elevation tool by cutting a slot into a large Allen wrench with my Dremel tool.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgmentMilitary Firearm Restoration Corner

grumpy64

(6/26/05 17:40)

I recently purchased a Yugo Sks 59/66 from a dealer. It was imported by Century Arms.

I installed a recoil buffer. Had the bayonet removed and the grenade sight taken off. A local gunsmith ported the Grenade launcher.

It took a couple weeks to get the cosmo out of the wood. I took the rifle apart and used brake parts cleaner to clean the grease off the metal. I followed that up with WD-40.

The gun is a sweet shooter. I put a 6x compact scope on it and at 50 yrds it will shoot 2" groups - not the best but good enough. At 100 yrds it is in the 5" area.

user posted image

user posted image

fartingchicken

Head Grumpy Old Man

(6/26/05 19:42)

ezSupporter

How much more did it cost you to take off the bayonet, grenade sight, and get it ported? The recoil is certainly okay on mine, but I'm curious.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgmentMilitary Firearm Restoration Corner

TwistJg26

(6/26/05 19:59)

I kinda like the GL, makes the gun look cool.

grumpy64

(6/26/05 20:12)

Reply cost to remove bayonet and port Grenade Launcher

I paid $10.00 for all the work

manureman

(6/26/05 20:50)

Reply Re: Grenade link

Hey Twisted,thanks for the grenade link! I've been wanting to find some of those,think he still might have a few? Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Brownells has an SKS sight adjustment tool for about $5. I bought their Mojo sight and just put it in. Kind of a pain to install. The elevation screw placement is a distractor, but it should work fine. It is just to the right, and in front of the peep hole. Sticks way up.

"Get the grenades, Fritz, grenades"

Got a source for those? Actually, I like the launcher attachment just as is. Some take it off, but I'll leave it.

And I want to thank Tony for the idea of making a front sight tool out of an allen wrench. Achtung! I should have thought of that!

BTW, I saw a fellow the other day wearing a cap that said, "You can always tell a German, but you can't tell him much".

fritz

Took a while to make it though. I see Brownells sells a SKS sight tool for $6.

I just put a mojo sight on my Yugo SKS and took off the bayonet and grenade launcher sight. I am thinking of buying another one. I wonder how much the bayonet throws off the shots by interfering with the barrel movement during firing?

I had to use an impact screwdriver to remove the bayonet screw. http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL83/530097/...7/104549232.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got an SKS from SOG. It was supposedly in excellent condition. I could tell someone had it before me. It was very poorly packed. It just had a wad of paper at the top, and a hole in the side of the box. There was a significant crack behind the receiver in the stock. This is the second let-down from SOG and I don't plan to buy from them again. Aim was better.

Actually, Karlunity, here in the PRC we are allowed certain SKS's. They can't have the grenade launcher on them, though where we are going to get grenades is beyond me.

As long as they don't have a magazine that is detachable, or holds more than 10 rounds if non detachable, they are okay.

Under the Roberti-Roos section of the assault bill, it specifially states "SKS with detachable magazine". In fact, the CA DOJ website states, "The SKS was originally manufactured with a fixed 10 round magazine. However, modified versions acept a detachable magazine and are assault weapons."

Catagory 2 Assault weapons are bascially AK and AR-15 based weapons.

Then comes the PC 12276 assault weapons. These are based on generic charactoristics.

An assault weapon must first have a detachable magazine:

Then any one of the following:

flash hider, grenade launcher, pistol grip, thumbhole stock, forward pistol grip.

If it has a fixed magazine, it must hold more than 10 rounds.

Or, be shorter than 30"

As far as I can tell, if there is no grenade launcher or it has been deactivated, then an SKS is not an assault weapon.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Guest Be careful, very careful about S

Be very careful about assuming a military semiautomatic rifle is legal in CA.

While there is a "list of evil assualt weapons" there is also the definition....that is far worse than the weapons list.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:

Rifles

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of

the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

(cool.gif A thumbhole stock.

© A folding or telescoping stock.

(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

(E) A flash suppressor.

(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10

rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

If the centerfire semiautomic rifle is under 30 inches---it is evil.

If the centerfire semiautomatic has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds-- it is evil

If the centerfire semiautomatic rifle can accept a detachable magazine --it may be evil, especially if you ever make ay stock modifications!

I inherited and evil evil California Assualt weapon from my father-in-law. It is a paratrooper M1 Carbine. Yes, it has a detachable magazine that can hold 15 or more rounds of ammo, a bayonet lug, a collapsable stock, a pistol grip, etc. Very, very evil. Unfortunately, it is so underpowered it can not be used to legally hunt deer, but hey, it is too evil for California.

It would just take a minor stock modification of an SKS to run afoul of the CA regulations. There are folks that sell stocks that the have pistol grips, thumholes and/or folding stocks.

It would not be hard to make an SKS rifle less than 30 inches, but if you did, you would be in big trouble.

Now for the really scary part. Do you want to risk becoming convicted of a firearms felony and loosing all future rights to own firearms over the definition of "capacity to accept" or "detachable." If Diane Feinstein and her ilk can smile while Bill Clinton debates what "is is," could they, a prosecutor, or a judge who hates firearms, debate what "capacity to accept" or "detachable" means?

There are places that sell 15 and greater round fixed mazazines that can snap rather quickly into a standard-issue fixed magazine SKS.

For example you can go to

http://catalog.jgsales.com/

and purchase......

"SKS 30 round magazines. New condition, replaces 10 round box mag. For 7.62x39 cal. Check legality before installing. Polymer. $19.95"

Clearly J&G Sales understands that installing the 30 round magazine might not be legal everywhere and is warning people. But could someone state that just because an SKS could be so converted, easily with few if any tools, does that make it illegal to own? While not at the moment, who knows in the future.

I use to live in California, but won't live there. They are too anti-gun.

There is an interesting thread on one person's understanding of the SKS and federal and other assault weapons laws.

http://www.simonov.net/uberlaw.htm

Good luck and be careful, very careful if you live in California.

I fully understand that section, as I made a tanker garand(with folding stock) that fell under the assault weapon law as it was too short, until I added an evil flash hider. Now, it is less evil as it is longer than 30".

I have just purchased two SKS 59/66 with the grenade launchers covered so as to deactivate them. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to get the launcher completely off. Not that I think the gun is illegal, but I know how the police mind works. Some of them will push as far as they can go, legal or not.

Of course, now that I purchased a 59/66, InterOrdnance now has SKS 59s, which do n ot have the grenade launcher at all. huh.gif

I have no intention of modifying my SKS's. They should be just fine as they are. If I need something with more firepower, there is always my Carbine with its 15 & 30 shot magazines.

some but not all of that launcher will screw off..left hand threads i beleive...?

i have cut some off about 1/2 passed the front sight and recrowned..

some places are modifing the launcher to make it legal for those states..

i guess AIM does'nt know they can't modify aC&R and still sell it as a C&R been meaning to inform them of that..............

I've been trying to convince SOG to sell me a 308 FN49, but they refuse to sell it to CA residents. When I ask why they wouldn't sell to me, SOG's response was that CA hadn't told them they could sell it.

Though it has NONE of the required assault weapon items, except a detachable magzine. That would be okay, as long as it was 10 rounds or less.

After all, Springfield is selling the M1A here, and it is no different than the FN49. So, if Springfield can sell their M1As with 5 and 10 round magazines here in Kalifornia, then it would be okay for SOG to sell their FN49 also. As long as it had a 10 round or less magazine.

Sailormilan2 --

Forgive me if I am incorrect on some of the finer points here, but as I recall, SOG was specifically named in a lawsuit about 3 or 4 years back that involved their sales of C&R pistols directly to C&R licensees here in CA. Of course, that was illegal, so SOG stopped doing it. Since that time I have noticed that SOG has chosen to err on the side of caution in regard to ANY weapons sales to residents of CA, and they won't do it in some cases even with guns that are considered legal by even CA's absurd standards.

I would find that reading the SOG flyer every month is an exercise in futility for CA residents...it certainly is for me! There is almost no gun listed in the flyer that doesn't have the words "Not for sale in CA" next to it...it's depressing.

Around the time that the lawsuit involving SOG was settled, I was trying to place an order with them for something relatively benign, and absolutely legal (anywhere else), but was declined due to the company's heightened fear of liability. Since then, I have been very judicious around what I will attempt to order from them, and I guess I just have to bide my time until I move away and can freely acquire the weapons that I want.

The FN 49 thing IS ludicrous however, contrasted to the M1A...but then again, I suppose that we can attribute the broad and sweeping enforcement of firearms laws against law-abiding citizens in this state to the somewhat liberal and definitely restrictive policies of our esteemed Attorney General, Bill Lockyer.

If you choose to fight the CA-DOJ for your right to own an FN 49, I applaud your efforts, but be sure to get anything you can in writing...which, the CA-DOJ is notoriously reticent to do...probably because they contradict themselves constantly!

Good luck!

Any fighting with the Dept of Justice would not get anywhere. Since it's head, the State Attorney General Bill Lockyer wants to run for Governor. Apparently, he is helping the antis write some of their gun legislation. Maybe that is why it is so screwed up.

I recently heard about this State's most recent insanity, and if true, I cannot imagine any judge in their right mind going along with it.

Apparently, The Powers That Be here in Ca have asked the Powers That BE in Nevade to check all the Gunshows there for CA residents. So, supposedly, NV police will go through a parking lot at a NV gunshow and write down any CA license numbers. These then are turned over to someone.

Then the next thing the haplas car owner knows, is Search Warrant of that persons house.

An article about this was supposedly in the California Rifle and Pistol Association's monthly magazine. I missed reading it, but my brother told me about it.

I have racked my brain, trying to find some legal justification for this but I can't think of any.

Somewhat similar to me going to the local strip club, then getting my house searched as I might be a rapist.

Crazy violations of the 2nd Ammendment.

Anyway, looking at my SKS it sure looks like a grenade launcher would be something the Soviets would have added onto the weapon and taken off. I see a potential seal behind the business end of the gun where a device could be applied and removed.

I made a couple of phone calls to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) today to ask about SKS's with the grenade launcher.

Their website specifically states that a weapon is no longer an assault rifle if the offending part is removed.

I told the DOJ person that there was a company selling SKS's as CA legal, that had a "sleeve" spot welded over the Grenade Launcher, effectively disabling it.

DOJ's response was that there was no provision in the code for "disabling". In other words, the weapon was in a "grey" area as, technically, the grenade launcher was still present, therefor the gun was still an assault rifle.

But, that decision would have to be up to the DA in what ever county I lived in. No problem there, our DA is very pro grun.

DOJ was very surprised that there was a company selling modified SKS's as CA legal. They said they would check into it and make a decison.

But, just to be safe. I took the SKS's apart. Stuck the barreled actions into my milling attachment on the lathe, and milled through the spot welds. I then tapped off the sleeve, tapped out the cross pin on the grenade launcher, heated and unscrewed it.

Now, it is legal. But I have exposed threads on the barrel. My current plan is to chuck the launcher into my lathe, turn down the sealing rings. Then replace it as a simple barrel extension for protecting the threads.

Or, I may then cross drill some holes and turn it into a muzzle brake so I can screw it back on to protect the threads.

Sailormilan2 --

I think that for a while Century Arms was offering a "California Legal" version of the Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS through an 01 FFL only...they may still be offering this version. Century's approach is/was similar to yours, in that they put on muzzle brakes to prevent the exposed threads problem left after the rifles are disfigured...oops, I mean after they are made compliant with CA law.

A couple of years ago I was at J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ and the staff there said that lots of folks from CA purchase the Yugo SKSs from them, and they will generally unscrew the launcher, or will place a sleeve over it. But like you said, the CA-DOJ seems to find the sleeved approach questionable.

I can't imagine why the CA-DOJ acted surprised by the information on certain companies selling "CA Legal" modified SKSs...I know that I had a discussion with a Steven Teeters in the Firearms Division just before the website updated about them...I know a couple of other people who have inquired as well. I guess this just proves what we've said all along about how the CA-DOJ doesn't seem to be able to keep anything straight.

At least maybe you can find some consolation in that you have the skills and knowledge to do some modifications for compliance on your own. That's being a little ahead in the game!

• 2 months later...

I took the "sleeve" off my two Yugo SKS by milling through the spot welds then tapping them off. I popped them onto my lathe and turned them down. Now, they do not resemble a grenade launcher. I then screwed them back on and fixed them with loctite. I wanted something to protect the threads. Actually, they look okay.

But, man, those things are hard. Very hard turning them down.

So, after all that work to make sure they are legal. I go into a local gunshop, and what do I find?????????? ohmy.gif One sitting on the shelf, with a sleeved grenade launcher!!!!! laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Unregistered guest
I took the "sleeve" off my two Yugo SKS by milling through the spot welds then tapping them off.  I popped them onto my lathe and turned them down.  Now, they do not resemble a grenade launcher.  I then screwed them back on and fixed them with loctite.  I wanted something to protect the threads.  Actually, they look okay.

But, man, those things are hard.  Very hard turning them down.

So, after all that work to make sure they are legal.  I go into a local gunshop, and what do I find?????????? ohmy.gif  One sitting on the shelf, with a sleeved grenade launcher!!!!! laugh.gif

5552[/snapback]

The bayonet, and assembly, control muzzle tip activity for follow-up shot aquisiton.

In other words..........They help control the effects of recoil.

Another thought, if you change the configuration of a C&R rifle, which is also not over 50 years old (think scope attachment, larger cap mag, fixed or not, many other flavors of mod all fit here), and I am not real sure 50 years matters, then you may very well have a rifle which is not importable (think 1989 or newer SKS with bayonet), or possessable lawfully.